Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone keeping sheep?

Go down

Anyone keeping sheep? Empty Anyone keeping sheep?

Post by jjstyle Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:31 pm

I've always being interested in keeping a couple sheep for meat.

What breed do is best for meat?
How many sheep can you keep per acre?

JJ

jjstyle

Back to top Go down

Anyone keeping sheep? Empty Re: Anyone keeping sheep?

Post by Guest Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:45 pm

JJ. I would suggest you get books from the "Back Yard" series. I have a number of these and still find myself referring to them. The rule of thumb for stocking rate used to be five yews plus lambs per acre. As to breeds. Sheep have been continually cross bred to produce hybrid vigour amongst other things and so obtaining specific breeds, especially heritage breeds would require much searching around. You could get in touch with one of the herd societies. They are always helpful I have found. How are you at shearing? Are you going to keep a Tup. The two things that sheep are good at is, dying and escaping so I have found. Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to seek out Cade lambs. These would require bottle feeding (lamb lac) and they will get very tame and follow you about and generally being a pain in the arse, but fun and it would be a good start on the learning curve.

Back to top Go down

Post by jjstyle Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks for the info Wayland. Honestly id be a complete novice when it comes to sheep. But something im willing to learn and get into. I was thinking 2 max would be my limit as i dont want to overcrowd the land either.

jjstyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down