Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Made a good start today.

2 posters

Go down

Made a good start today. Empty Made a good start today.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:36 pm

I see that the days are pulling out at last. Even the birds are singing. Time to get my arse in gear me thinks. So I cleaned out the potting shed and set up the propagator ready for seed sowing next week. I also made a new compost heap out of pallets. Next week its coppicing the willow and shredding the twiggy bits for mulch. I have to build a new duck house soon and dig them a pond. So getting started now. Hows it going lads?

Back to top Go down

Made a good start today. Empty Re: Made a good start today.

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:30 pm

New duck house and pond on the agenda here too. I'm putting a lot of thought into this duck pond - I want to be able to just pull a plug to empty it.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:01 pm

We coppiced the willow today. Not a bad amount for the first year.
We too need a new duck shed, about 3 times bigger as we seem to be good at aquiring them.
Our ducks have a half large barrel which we empty into the dyke via a pipe and tap fixed on the end. This works well but would love a pond but at least this way we can empty it.
Have a large overgrown area that I am about to tackle. Brambles here I come

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:02 pm

We are lucky with duck pond as it is fed by a spring so it is continuously flushing itself. I have decided to separate the Ducks from the Chooks but, moving the Ducks away from this pond sounds a bit counterintuitive. My plan is to tap into the main drain pipe that takes the rainwater from the roof. This pipe runs under the paddock to a soakaway at the bottom. As my land slopes quite a bit I intend to run this water through a new pond first, or thats the plan anyway. The problem with the spring is that it will dry up if we have a long dry spell like we had this early summer. Then it would take a month of good rain to get it going again. The rain water off the roof would be instantaneous me thinks. I do hate a manky duck pond full of black nasty water.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:46 am

Things are getting underway now in the propagators with Tom`s, Basil, Leeks, and Scallions all showing. In the pollys Onions, Garlic, Shallots, Cabbage, Saladin's, and Broccoli all doing well now. The Peach tree does not seem in too much of a hurry at the moment though. We shall be planting our early spuds next week (Duke of York, Sharps Express, and Charlotte). Despite the cold the birds are singing, the frogs are croaking, the cock is crowing. Alls well with the world ( cant be arsed with Trump, brexit etc Evil or Very Mad ).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:00 pm

I applaud your sense of values - mine are the same. I couldn't care tuppence whether trump, verruka, may et al all did away with one another -good riddance, I'd say. I'm more concerned about the bullfinches stripping the fruit buds in my orchard!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down