Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home grown Mushrooms.

Go down

Home grown Mushrooms. Empty Home grown Mushrooms.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:21 am

I was given two types of Mushroom dowels last Xmas which were inserted into Alder logs in this January. Still waiting for anything to happen. Anyone else tried these?

Back to top Go down

Home grown Mushrooms. Empty Re: Home grown Mushrooms.

Post by Sean Ph'lib Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:06 pm

I tried these years ago. My experience is you'll be waiting for years. I eventually gave up checking the logs and, years after - when I'd forgotten all about them - I came across a log covered in oyster mushrooms! I hope you won't have to wait as long! Incidentally, I'm getting so many horse mushrooms in my ash wood now that I can hardly manage them!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:24 am

Hi Sean. The Alder logs are showing the right signs with the black streaks running across the cut faces but that is all. There are large numbers of various fungi growing in the Conifer woods, not being an expert on these I leave well alone. Unless I find some that I do recognise. No field or Horse Mushrooms found yet locally but I have harvested a fair number of Giant Puffballs. So not a total failure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:39 pm

What a waste of time this is. The logs are showing signs of rotting but now I am not sure that whats growing is in fact what I sowed. Ho hum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:27 pm

My experience was similar.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down