Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wild garlic - where to buy bulbs ?

3 posters

Go down

Wild garlic - where to buy bulbs ? Empty Wild garlic - where to buy bulbs ?

Post by Carlarua Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:22 pm

Does anyone know where I could buy wild garlic bulbs?
I know it's the wrong time to plant, but i'd love to know where to get a few for when I could plant them out. There's none growing around here in the wild, so I can't liberate a few
Carlarua
Carlarua

Back to top Go down

Wild garlic - where to buy bulbs ? Empty Re: Wild garlic - where to buy bulbs ?

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Loads around here. I could send you some. They are just starting to flower so you would have to baby them this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlarua Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:16 pm

How do I baby wild garlic ? Is that a trick question ? ;-)
Thank you for your kind offer Wayland! Am I correct in thinking it also keeps flies at bay ?
First and foremost, I'm thinking of my stomach ; I heard wild garlic pesto is particularly tasty.
Carlarua
Carlarua

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:08 pm

I sowed some seed last autumn which I came across when ordering my veg seeds. No idea if it will grow or how long before it should appear. If I should have seen it by now then it didn't work. I too love wild garlic but I have a friend I can scrounge some from if it doesn't grow. Fingers crossed

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:38 am

It really grows in abundance here in Wexford . It must be a long drawn out job growing it from seed. It would look like fine grass seedlings now. As to my expression "Babying it". This is just looking after it. I would pot it up in fertile free draining compost, cut off any flower heads and keep it in a sheltered shady spot and not letting it dry out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlarua Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:21 pm

I have never seen it here in Ireland before, but I fondly remember it from my younger days.
I've seen seed before, but if it's any way like onion seed it will take forever to come to fruition
Carlarua
Carlarua

Back to top Go down

Post by Torc Sat May 12, 2018 2:24 pm

I think there are two plants called wild garlic - one is the woodland ransoms with the broad leaf and the other is like a white bluebell.

In wicklow there is lots of the former in almost any woodland and the latter is to be found in the barer regions of the West. Of course, it might be the same plant just living as best it can in different habitats.

Torc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down