Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wild apples - crabapples ?

2 posters

Go down

Wild apples - crabapples ?  Empty Wild apples - crabapples ?

Post by Carlarua Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:20 pm

I found an apple tree at the edge of a field, and I'm wondering if they're crabapples?

My dad used to tell a story that he had the most humongous tummy cramps after eating wild apples from a tree, so I'm not making that mistake. It must have been truly memorable, because 60 years after the facts, he still tells the story each year come apple time ;-)

Can I make anything out of them ( like a jelly ?) that doesn't make us feel as if we've been hit by dyphteria and/or can we feed it to the pigs/goats ?
These apples are tiny, rock hard and green, but there are absolute masses of them.

Thanks !
Carlarua
Carlarua

Back to top Go down

Wild apples - crabapples ?  Empty Re: Wild apples - crabapples ?

Post by Sean Ph'lib Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:52 pm

By the description, they sound like proper crabapples. They make an excellent jelly to accompany cold meats or cheese - even better if you mix in a few sloes. They also make a good wine and are a good addition to cider. But wait till they're ripe and fall off the tree.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:41 pm

As you say Sean, proper crab apples. The pigs will luv them but I would put them in me cider. Picked me first lot of "Beauty of Bath" for the mart tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlarua Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:28 pm

Brilliant! I wouldn't even know how to make cider, but i'll definitely give the jelly a go.
Thank you for telling me to wait til they drop off. I didn't know that I had to wait for that either. I just pick the bramley's we have in the garden.
Thanks lads !
Carlarua
Carlarua

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:29 am

To make cider just gather the fruit, no need to be too picky about the quality. Smash then to a pulp and press them to extract the juice. Put juice into a clean plastic dustbin and allow to ferment. If you want a stronger brew add sugar. To pulp the apples drop one at a time into a bucket and smash it with a tree trunk (like you see African ladies making flour). Put the pulp into clean hessian sacks or make a stout wooden frames like draws without bottoms. To press the pulp, make a crude press using a car jack. On the base of the press put about an inch layer of straw then a frame/sack. repeat until the press is full. Press away. Easy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum