Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter entertainment

2 posters

Go down

Winter entertainment Empty Winter entertainment

Post by Deryn Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 pm

I have just been given 7 black fleeces for spinning, so that's me sorted for the winter entertainment.
have to wash them, card them and then spin them before I can even think about knitting them.
Does anybody else have plans for the dark evenings?

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Winter entertainment Empty Re: Winter entertainment

Post by Guest Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:57 am

That sounds like fun Deryn. So you wash your fleeces first. We once knew an old lady who spun but she would not wash the fleece but would wash the finished garment. She maintained that the wool spun and knitted better with the help of natural oils. There was always a strong smell of lanolin about her cottage. As to dark evenings!! I have not given them much thought yet. I expect I will get up to something. I have plans to make some more Hives and other bee keeping stuff. I used to do evening classes on all kinds of off beat topics. Some have even been useful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:09 pm

My plan for the winter evenings is: making walking sticks, longbows and catapults. And looking at the dogs stretched out before the fire, smoking my pipes, Smile drinking whiskey and listening to Vivaldi and Rossini. Roll on the long nights!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Sean that sounds like a sane plan and paints a wonderful picture.
Wayland I only rinse them in tepid water(the plants love the waste)so hopefully I'm not washing out any lanolin. My early Christmas present was a carding machine and the instructions say clean wool for it to be most effective, so am giving it a go.

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:05 am

Deryn. A carding machine! What a luxury. I have done a bit with ping pong bats with nails in for said old lady. Not a nice job as I recall. Sean. Proper job. I would add Sibelius and Vaughan Williams to the list.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down