Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you feel the Quickening?

2 posters

Go down

Can you feel the Quickening? Empty Can you feel the Quickening?

Post by cristy Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:55 am

I noticed this morning the first wodge of Frog spawn in the ornamental pond Very Happy So the wheel turns once more.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Can you feel the Quickening? Empty Re: Can you feel the Quickening?

Post by Sean Ph'lib Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:27 pm

No frogspawn here yet, but I did notice a pair of starlings checking out a nestbox today.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:38 pm

I think the spawning season is about done for this year. There is so much this year but I will not thin it out but let the fish do what they will. The copse is now alive with bird song and the feeders are having to be topped up regularly. so things have improved Very Happy Very Happy

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:10 pm

Still no frogspawn here. I expect the old frogs have a hard time getting to the pond - what with ducks and hens ranging everywhere. They can get in at night, of course, and once in, they're safe enough as the ducks can't get into that pond, but I reckon I must lose a lot to the fowl, both in adult frogs coming to the pond and young froglets dispersing away from the pond in the summer. It's a problem I must address - maybe by fencing more of the garden into the pond enclosure.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:05 am

So the wheel turns once more. We have five wodges of Frogspawn laid last night. They were making quite a racket through the night. The cold weather dont seem to dampen their ardor!

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:08 pm

None here yet, but it was later last year. But looking over last year's potato beds yesterday, I noticed a few holes dug in the loose soil. Then the dog made a sudden spring and before you could say "Scissors!" he had two half-grown rabbits hauled out. He killed them both instantly and had an early dinner!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down