Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter cabbages

2 posters

Go down

Winter cabbages Empty Winter cabbages

Post by Sean Ph'lib Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Winter cabbages planted out this morning:  Red Drumhead,  Savoys and January King.Winter cabbages 20180712

The frame will be covered with netting to keep out pigeons and rabbits.  Kales and Brussells to go out this afternoon.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Winter cabbages Empty Re: Winter cabbages

Post by Deryn Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:11 pm

It all looks very neat and tidy Sean. I think I must plant mine out to soon as they have all bolted. I have a bad habit of sowing all my seeds to soon. Hope this afternoon was a success.
How far apart do you plant them when they are in the beds?

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:38 am

Deryn, the drought would have encouraged them to bolt.  Looking back, I think I sowed these around the 10th June. I pricked them out, first into modules and then into individual 5 inch pots. I planted them roughly 18 inches apart in the row, with the rows about two feet apart, which leaves room for a line of leeks down the middle.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:39 pm

I would have sown mine in April when sowing all other seeds. Will try and remember to wait next year. I will also plant them in bigger pots as I leave them in seed trays 12 to a tray when I thin them out.

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:11 pm

Remember! Now is the time to sow your Spring Cabbage seed. You should be planting them out in September / October. They will over-winter and start growing fast in Spring. Plant them 9 inches apart in the row and pull every second one for Spring Greens and allow the others to heart up, which they will do from April through to June. The great thing about Spring Cabbages is - no caterpillars! There are several good varieties - Wheeler's Imperial, Durham Early, April, Flower of Spring (makes huge cabbages on good ground) and others. I think they're the best cabbages of all.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:49 pm

Thank you for the advice, will get some in asap. Not really grown much cabbage in the past so grateful for the help

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down