Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dry red wine

2 posters

Go down

dry red wine Empty dry red wine

Post by Monst Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:13 am

linking into waylands cider topic, I used to make wine, (up until I became ill 3 years ago) I once made a blackberry wine, and must have left it a day or so long during the first aggressive fermentation period, as it turned to vinegar. I thought "sod it" its all in now, I had a spare demijon so I put it through it 2nd fermentation, and left it to work itself out.When I tried it, it had a lovely flavour, real blackberry coming through, but boy was it dry. Made your mouth pucker with every drop. I couldn't drink it, but a mate loved dry wine so I gave him a bottle, he totally loved it, drank all 5 bottles (over time) he said that without the sweetness you could really taste the fruit.

As for cider, I cannot drink it, ever since I got drunk on woodpecker when I was about 13, cant even stand the smell of it. (mind you, I am on so many different meds I cant drink at all now)
Monst
Monst

Back to top Go down

dry red wine Empty Re: dry red wine

Post by Sean Ph'lib Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:16 pm

Monst, sorry to hear that your health doesn't allow you to drink, but the stuff that made you drunk (Woodpecker) when you were 13 was not cider. Woodpecker, Strongbow, Magners, Bulmers etc bear no relation whatever to real cider.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:42 am

I have four gallons of Elderberry wine on the go. The few local trees yielded the best crop that I have seen. I now use that "Turbo" yeast which is impressive stuff. As to the commercial brands of Cider listed. These are most definitely not the real thing as Sean stated above. This is not to say that they are not an unpleasant drink on a hot summers day, they are, but nothing like traditional farmhouse Cider. " Thank God" I hear some say Very Happy Very Happy . I usually make two brews. "Bogside Rough Old B*****d" (very dry and makes you close one eye but leave the other open) and "Bogside Red Eye" ( dry with a red tinge and fruity taste ) The Alc runs out at 6 - 9 % respectively. The "Rough" is finished but the "Red Eye" is still festering away.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:09 pm

"Festering away..." Laughing Laughing

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Monst Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Sean Ph'lib wrote:"Festering away..." Laughing Laughing

lovely terminology, obviously brewer talk Wink
Monst
Monst

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:42 am

The Elderberry is near to finishing and even now tastes very good. I have found that Elderberry wine does not need much ageing. Having said that I will try to save some of it clown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum