Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oink oink!

3 posters

Go down

oink oink! Empty oink oink!

Post by jjstyle Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:34 pm

Hey everyone! so I've finally come up with a plan! only took me a couple years but i hope to be moving forward this year and getting a couple of pigs. I have learned that people for want to keep 5 or less pigs don't need an inspection to get a pig herd number so that will be an advantage. I believe i am going to get a couple of Kune Kune pigs to start off with, they are mainly grazing pigs. I've heard they have a wonderful flavor and are friendly. once i get some more experience with them i may move onto iron age pigs in a couple of years.

I have a question about the whole herd number and keeping registered animals. What is the procedure if i were to go out some morning and find a pig dead? is it the law that the body must be destroyed by some registered place or would it be up to me to dispose of the body correctly?

Also let say for example if the pig was attacked and killed by a dog or something, would i be allowed to consume the meat in a situation like that?

jjstyle

Back to top Go down

oink oink! Empty Re: oink oink!

Post by Guest Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:30 am

Firstly JJ, dont fear an inspection as an essential part of getting a herd number. My experience with the inspectors here in the SE have always been a good one. Just be sure that your setup conforms to the correct EU standard. In the event of sudden death of stock you are required to have the corps dealt with by the fallen stock man. This carries a cost to you!!!. You are permitted to have an animal slaughtered at home for your own consumption only. You may not even give the meat away. As to a dog killing a pig!! It would have to be a huge dog. Pigs need to be bled to death or the meat will go rancid. Would you be referring to the Tamworth as your Iron Age pig?.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:40 pm

Good luck with it JJ. I'm intending going down the piggy line myself this year. I aim to get a couple of Gloucester Old-Spots and make 'em as fat as I can. I won't be looking for licences - I don't do licences.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:29 pm

Nor do I do the fallen stockman! Gloucester old spots. Mmmm Delicious.

Back to top Go down

Post by jjstyle Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:42 pm

Sean Ph'lib wrote:Good luck with it JJ.  I'm intending going down the piggy line myself this year. I aim to get a couple of Gloucester Old-Spots and make 'em as fat as I can.  I won't be looking for licences - I don't do licences.

May I ask how you are able to get your hands on a pig without a herd number? I've tried but seems to be difficult enough, connections? lol

jjstyle

Back to top Go down

Post by jjstyle Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:43 pm

wayland wrote:Firstly JJ, dont fear an inspection as an essential part of getting a herd number. My experience with the inspectors here in the SE have always been a good one. Just be sure that your setup conforms to the correct EU standard. In the event of sudden death of stock you are required to have the corps dealt with by the fallen stock man. This carries a cost to you!!!. You are permitted to have an animal slaughtered at home for your own consumption only. You may not even give the meat away. As to a dog killing a pig!! It would have to be a huge dog. Pigs need to be bled to death or the meat will go rancid. Would you be referring to the Tamworth as your Iron Age pig?.

Hey Wayland, yes the Tamworth is what I refer to as the Iron age pig, I've heard they have a distinct flavor. I've heard so many different things on having a pig killed, I would love for it to be done on the property as we wont be selling it or moving it from the property, but how can you so this without getting into trouble?

jjstyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:07 pm

When we applied for a herd number it was for 5 or less and we definitely had an inspection. We still don't have a herd number as they weren't happy with the fencing on the boundary as they require a double gate system into the field, which we still haven't got around to doing. Our inspector also wanted them to have a permanent water system, not buckets.
You wouldn't be able to take them to a slaughter house for killing without a herd number

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:51 am

The Tamworth is a very useful smallholder pig. With their long snout they are the best for rooting out old vegetation/roots etc. Those with veg plots appreciate this as they will never need to cultivate their plots providing the pigs are confined and moved on regularly. Just rake the soil level and sow/plant etc. No Twitch, Dandelions, Last year`s Spuds etc. Heaven! They even dung the land of course. They are a woodland pig and will root up young trees, so beware.

As to obtaining pigs without a herd number. This is Ireland. Bless it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:12 pm

wayland wrote:

As to obtaining pigs without a herd number. This is Ireland. Bless it.

Wink That's it in a nutshell.  A nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse. Cool

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum