Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meat Rabbits.

3 posters

Go down

Meat Rabbits. Empty Meat Rabbits.

Post by Guest Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:08 pm

I have been talking about rearing meat rabbits for sometime. Now this year I am going to do it. I shall be on the lookout for NZ and Californian breeding stock in the spring. Do any of you keep rabbits for the table?

Back to top Go down

Meat Rabbits. Empty Re: Meat Rabbits.

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:19 am

I often considered it, but wild rabbits are so plentiful hereabouts...

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:38 pm

We have in the past but only made sausages with them. We decided it wasn't financially worth doing as was hoping to do it commercially but to many rule and regs. We have since sold them all. JJ was saying about having some rabbits, not sure how he's getting on with them

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:41 am

Sean Ph'lib wrote:I often considered it, but wild rabbits are so plentiful hereabouts...

IMHO farmed rabbits are bigger and better tasting than the wild ones. This is not to say that I dislike the wild ones but we don't have them locally in sufficient quantities to justify hunting them. Something I luv to do. As a complement to our operations here they would also recycle our veg waste, or most of it and would thrive on gleanings sauced locally. All round winners me thinks. I could see problems described by Deryn if we tried to do this comercially though.

Back to top Go down

Post by jjstyle Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:05 pm

Hey Wayland!

I have a doe NZ white and a buck that's a cross of NZ white and Californian. I am hoping to breed them in the next couple of months and get some litters going in 2018 for the freezer.

I have had some trouble with getting a good stock to be honest with you. originally bought 2 bucks and 2 does all unrelated but I only have 1 buck from that group left. although I was warned that the first couple years will be hard as you will have a lot of deaths and its up to you to breed the strongest.

I'm still in that phase but hoping to make some headway this year.

jjstyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:43 am

It looks like I would have to pick up my breeding stock from the UK the next time we go visiting. I would be looking for a trio. There are all kinds of problems with young breeding stock kept in captivity, least of all with the Doe`s eating their young. I would let this go for the first time but if she does it again then she is in the pot!. I have had problems in the past with young rabbits dying an alarming death. Post mortems revealed an intestinal blockage probable due to the young eating the Doe`s pellets to soon. Mixie needs to be sorted of course.

Back to top Go down

Post by jjstyle Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:46 pm

wayland wrote:It looks like I would have to pick up my breeding stock from the UK the next time we go visiting. I would be looking for a trio. There are all kinds of problems with young breeding stock kept in captivity, least of all with the Doe`s eating their young. I would let this go for the first time but if she does it again then she is in the pot!. I have had problems in the past with young rabbits dying an alarming death. Post mortems revealed an intestinal blockage probable due to the young eating the Doe`s pellets to soon. Mixie needs to be sorted of course.

I'd love to get a couple from the UK, if you would be willing to bring a couple extra home with you let me know when you are going and we can try to sort something out!

jjstyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:53 am

Will do JJ.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down