Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wildlife numbers down

2 posters

Go down

Wildlife numbers down  Empty Wildlife numbers down

Post by Carlarua Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Not only from a hunting perspective, but from a conservation perspective, wildlife numbers in my neck of the woods (north Leinster, west Meath) have just plummeted in the last 3 years.

My husband and son would go out hunting and come home with nothing, very often because it would be morally unjustifiable for them - their words, not mine - to shoot the 1 rabbit or 1 hare or 1 pheasant they would see in a few days out hunting. They shot a deer this year, but left the herd alone for the 2 years before that, because there were not enough of them to justify a shot.

Especially in the last 18 months or so, the places I would drive past , I would have regularly seen rabbits, foxes, pheasant, small birds and an wide variety of wildlife. Now I come home, excited because I saw 1wild rabbit for the first time in months. Seeing a hedgehog would be a rare treat nowadays, whilst I'd have the occasional one in my garden (in the outskirts of an estate) that would have lost its way.
I'd have bats in my back garden in summer, but not in the last 2 years.

Is wildlife in general in decline? Or is it just in my neck of the woods? Or is my perception of things a bit skewed?

I find it extremely worrying, but that might be just me.

Carlarua
Carlarua

Back to top Go down

Wildlife numbers down  Empty Re: Wildlife numbers down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Carlarua, where are you living? I'm happy to say that, down here in the Kingdom, wildlife, in general, has never been more plentiful. Everything from Pygmy Shrews to Badgers, Otters and Foxes are pretty common. A couple of weeks ago, a Red Deer Stag wandered into my garden. Maybe you have too many "sportsmen" around? Most of them are not as responsible as your husband and son. This place is overrun with rabbits - the roads are littered with their carcases - which is great for the healthy raven population. I generally pick up three or four every week for the dogs and am not adverse to partaking of some of the choicer bits myself!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:46 pm

I generally pick up three or four every week for the dogs and am not adverse to partaking of some of the choicer bits myself! quote.

Reminds me of my hippie days and road kill stew. I have just read a scientific report on the worlds wildlife numbers. Its too depressing to go into. Sean must live in a very special place. Long may it be so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down