Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feeding fish.

3 posters

Go down

Feeding fish. Empty Feeding fish.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:07 am

Gloria has a ornamental pond which looks great. She had a few goldfish in it which spawned this year and produced loads of fry. I have been feeding these all summer but now winters here I am wondering whether I should stop. Opinions anyone!

Back to top Go down

Feeding fish. Empty Re: Feeding fish.

Post by Sean Ph'lib Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:03 pm

I don't profess to know very much about goldfish, but if they were mine, I'd stop feeding them and let them take their chances. I know a fellow who has goldfish in his pond and he never feeds them. They still breed away and he always has too many!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:23 pm

I've never fed mine either and they seem to do just fine. They go to the bottom when the water freezes. Always put a tennis ball in the water before it freezes though. Have only had goldfish nothing fancy

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:25 pm

If they are used to being fed and you stop would suggest doing it gradually as with anything

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:46 am

Good pointers lads. Cheers. Survival of the fittest has always been my opinion on such things but, with the world losing wildlife in such numbers I am wondering if intervention would at some point be a good thing. This is another topic of course.

Back to top Go down

Post by Monst Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:37 pm

we have a medium size pond, with a number of fish, mainly goldfish, and OH feeds them periodically through the winter, as and when the weather is warm enough, we always know, if its warm enough they come to the surface as she walks past. Too cold and they stay near the bottom.
Monst
Monst

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum