Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Point-of-lay pullets

2 posters

Go down

Point-of-lay pullets Empty Point-of-lay pullets

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:28 pm

With some trepidation, I have ordered 7 pol pullets from Freeway poultry. Over the years, I have bought pol pullets a few times and always found them vastly inferior to the pullets I raise myself. I'm taking this step because I've always fancied a few White Leghorns which Freeway are selling at 16euros each. While I was at it, I decided to throw in a few other breeds -just out of interest. So I should be getting: 2 White Leghorns, 2 Partridges ( these are pullets - not real Partridges; silly name for a hen), 1 Dexel, 1 Amber Star and 1 Legbar. Supposed to arrive on Monday. Will keep updated on quality of birds etc.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Point-of-lay pullets Empty Re: Point-of-lay pullets

Post by cristy Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:34 am

I got some Campbells from Freeway a few months ago. They seem a pretty good outfit albeit a bit pricy. The POL`s I got from a farm near Wexford (done deal) for a tenner each are fine birds. These are commercials and not the fine selection that you have. Good luck with them mate.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:25 pm

Got the pullets today - the Amber Star was missing but he gave me a Black Rock instead.  They look ok - nothing spectacular but can't really judge till they've settled down - nobody looks their best after a long journey stuffed in a crate! My own home-raised hens look beautiful but no eggs at present and, as the old saying goes: handsome is as handsome does!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:20 pm

My hens are laying well even the old girls give me a few eggs. The fecking Ducks I despair with. Just one or two eggs a day and these are from eight birds. They have all the feed they want damn things. I have decided to build them a bigger house and hope for better things when the weather warms up a bit.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:23 pm

Well, to my surprise,  the young Legbar presented me with a nice blue egg this morning!  I think these pullets are raised inside without ever seeing the great outdoors.  It took them till this morning to venture out of the chicken house and then they hadn't the sense to go back in when it started raining heavily - just stoodvthere in a huddle looking miserable, getting soaked.  I had to pick them up and put them back in. I have no great expectations of them but I'll give them their chance.  Nobody to blame but myself - I should have put a couple of hens hatching last Spring (first time in years that I didn't! )  Artificially hatched and raised pullets are never the equals of ones hatched under a hen and brought up naturally out in the open - it stands to reason:  outdoor chicks feast on worms, flies, weed seeds, grass, herbs etc whilst the ones I bought grew up (I'm guessing) on some form of pelleted feed.

Last edited by Sean Ph'lib on Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:13 pm

Well, they're looking a bit better today and getting a bit more courage. Best of all, the Legbar laid again! Strangely though, she just drops the egg wherever she happens to be - no attempt to use a nestbox.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:30 pm

Well it's been about three weeks and the pullets have improved in appearance. The Legbar gave up laying after four or five eggs. They are eating well now and going in and out of the henhouse. I'm hopeful!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:19 pm

Well, I must say the pullets have improved out of all recognition - increased in size and put on a bit of weight. Best of all, the Legbar started laying again - a nice blue egg this morning! Four of my hens started up again too, so I'm back having proper breakfasts! My old Khaki Campbell duck is still churning out an egg a day (God Bless her) but nothing yet from the Indian Runners.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum