Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foods poisonous to goats in bogs

2 posters

Go down

Foods poisonous to goats in bogs Empty Foods poisonous to goats in bogs

Post by Carlarua Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:07 pm

Is there a comprehensive list of poisonous foods for goats, specifically for bog land?
I had a look on the internet, and apparently ivy berries are poisonous.
A surprise was that wilted and dry fruit tree leaves contain cyanide.

Are there any other nasties out there ?
Thanks !

Carlarua
Carlarua

Back to top Go down

Foods poisonous to goats in bogs Empty Re: Foods poisonous to goats in bogs

Post by Guest Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:13 pm

We have kept goats for a number of years and they seem to me very good at not poisoning themselves. The only time that I do take care is when the goats have been shut up for a time. In this situation if they see fresh greens they go and pig-out. We have often run out goats down our lane which is well over grown. They seem to avoid Ivy but I have seen them nibble at the odd leaf and not suffer. The occasional case of the scours could well be from eating something. Perhaps we have just been lucky but, we just let them graze away.

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:22 pm

We have never had a problem with goats poisoning themselves either but if I feed them things I always go by the rule of never feeding anything evergreen. Not sure how accurate this is but seems to work. Its usually willow branches to strip the bark off of, to give them something to do at this time of year while the ground is to wet for them to be on

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlarua Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:22 pm

I volunteer in a sanctuary, and we had 2 goats dying within a few days of each other. 1goat was very old, but his mate wasn't. We don't know their exact ages, as they were abandoned at the gates one morning, but the last goat to go was not that old.
They both would saunter off for the day around the sanctuary, and come back by evening.
The both were displaying the same symptoms : lethargy, no energy, looking anemic, loss of appetite. The were given antibiotics and anti inflammation medication, but they died with 3-4 days.
The only thing we could think of was that they had eaten something poisonous to goats.
They didn't have jaundice, which would indicate that they ate ragwort. So we're stumped. No other goats have died and are all thriving.
Carlarua
Carlarua

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum