Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Male Sparrow Hawk

Go down

Male Sparrow Hawk Empty Male Sparrow Hawk

Post by DizandStell Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Went out at dusk to put something in the outhouse and a movement in the undergrowth caught my attention. I initially thought a rat was moving quickly, but when I went over I could see a dark bird and my first instinct was a blackbird, but bright yellow eyes were glaring at me and a flash of grey and brown were obvious. On closer inspection I could see a male sparrowhawk staring at me from the undergrowth. I thought it odd it didn't escape so before I investigated further I grabbed some leather gloves and put my hands in to grab it and it let me. I was then concerned it had hurt itself in someway. The power and grip from those tiny spindly legs was incredible and thank goodness for the leather gloves because that beak was sharp!! On closer inspection all seemed fine, so I opened my hand to see if it would fly away and after a second it did just that. It was a very privileged moment and I can only hope all is well with the bird.
Put a smile on my face and reminds me why we live in the middle of nowhere. Laughing
Stell

DizandStell

Back to top Go down

Male Sparrow Hawk Empty Re: Male Sparrow Hawk

Post by Guest Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:54 pm

What a charming tale Steff. Good thinking in getting a leather a glove on before investigating closer. I always used welding gauntlets when working my birds. A hell of a grip even with these on. As to this event. I think either the bird is an escapee. or it is sick. If you are able to get hold of it again perhaps you could keep it for a while and feed it. If it is eating well then it should be fine and could be released. Not normal behaviour for a wild bird!.

Back to top Go down

Post by DizandStell Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:08 pm

Good advise, thanks. The bird was not skinny or sick looking. We wondered if it had been after a sparrow or finch on the bird table and maybe got caught in the wire fence, but I don't know. I couldn't see anything else wrong and as I said it had plenty of strength. We have both the male and female sparrowhawk around regularly, in fact one likes to fly out of the hedge along the road and flies in front of the car. It's a great sight.
Stell

DizandStell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down