Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fox on the prowl again

2 posters

Go down

Fox on the prowl again Empty Fox on the prowl again

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:24 pm

I have fox trouble again. A bantam cock disappeared yesterday and my best duck disappeared today Evil or Very Mad

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Fox on the prowl again Empty Re: Fox on the prowl again

Post by cristy Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:44 pm

Thats a real bummer Sean. Very sorry to hear it. Is your trap set?

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:49 pm

It is. But I scoured the place and found no trace whatsoever - not even a feather. And today, a huge female Sparrowhawk grabbed a Collared Dove right in front of the window, with the dog not ten yards away! It put me thinking... I've seen female Sparrowhawks take full-grown Wood Pigeons ... would she snatch an old duck? Or a Bantam cock? If it's her, I can't do anything about it - birds of prey are sacrosanct on my holding.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:46 pm

In my experience Sean. A female Sparrowhawk will attempt to catch anything that she can get her talons into. She could not fly off with a full grown Duck though. She would pluck the breast and eat. So you would be left with a heap of feathers and a carcass. A Pigeon she would take but she would pluck it first, so all you would see would be the feathers. You indicate that there is no trace of your birds. So Fox or Mink! I hope it is not the latter mate. I could loan you my trail cam if it helps.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:05 pm

Thanks for the offer Cristy but my birds range over such a wide area It would be impossible to site it. The ducks had a habit of spending the evening over in the orchard near the wood, but since the duck disappeared I notice that they now spend all their time around the orchard in front of the house where the dog patrols. I'm guessing fox, though the fact that he only took one bird does make mink more likely. Ah well, if you're going to keep birds free-range, you have to expect losses. As an old neighbour of mine used to say: "if you have livestock, you'll have dead stock!"

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:56 am

Bingo! I think I might have nabbed the culprit! I set four mink traps last night around the henhouse on the off-chance and - lo and behold - a fine mink inside one of them this morning! I hate killing any animal - even rats - but in this case I have no choice. I only hope he was travelling alone!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 am

I am much the same meself about killing wildlife. I do make an exception with the Mink though. I will also control rats. I hope your Mink was a loner. Good luck.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum