Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

That Damn Magpie.

2 posters

Go down

That Damn Magpie.  Empty That Damn Magpie.

Post by cristy Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:57 am

If its not the Fox, its the damn Maggie!!. Caught him red beaked on the trail cam eating eggs in the nest box. There is always something after a bit of yer action. I blamed the chooks at first. I have now given them a written apology.

cristy

Back to top Go down

That Damn Magpie.  Empty Re: That Damn Magpie.

Post by Sean Ph'lib Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:19 pm

The magpie is a saucy varlet. I have found the only cure for him is lead. I hate shooting the rogue, but it's him or your eggs - you can't have both!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:24 pm

At the moment he lives, but there is no guarantees he will stay that way!!. I am not letting the chooks out until they they have laid so when he enters there is nothing for him. I am trying to break the cycle before !!!.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:57 am

I found sometimes that hanging a plastic bag or bottle at the entrance to the nestbox will stop him going in. He is very wary of anything new, and it doesn't deter the hens from going in. Change the colour of the bag every couple of days.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:43 am

Cheers for that Sean. It would seem that it is a family group and not just one bird. I have a small enclosure up against the coop which the rogues have to drop down into before they can enter the hen house. I will net this and that should stop then. You can see why they build roofs on their own nests.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:31 am

My mongrel hens lay randomly through the day which is a bit of a pain. This gives the buggers many hours to have a go at the eggs. So now I dont let the hens out until they have laid. Problem solved.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum