Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very runny honey

3 posters

Go down

Very runny honey Empty Very runny honey

Post by Deryn Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 pm

I have a friend who has just started keeping bees and has given me a jar of honey from their first batch. It is not much thicker than water, is this normal?

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Very runny honey Empty Re: Very runny honey

Post by Sean Ph'lib Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:15 am

Well, there are some honeys which are thinnish, notably thistle honey, but in my experience they are very rare in Ireland. The most likely explanation is: the honey is not ripe. When bees bring nectar into the hive it is very watery. The bees have to condense and ripen it to turn it into honey, after which they seal it over with wax. As your friend is a beginner, I'm guessing he or she took the honey out of the hive before the bees had time to process it. What you have is unripe honey which will not keep - it will ferment.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Thank you Sean, it will be pointless me trying to tell them as they always know best but at least it explains it as I didn't think it was right.

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:04 pm

You could try warming it at temp below 160 f. As a test to see if uncapped honey is ripe (oilseed rape) we would hold it horizontally above a sheet of news paper. If any drips are found on the paper then it is not ready.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down