Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

That Damn Fox.

3 posters

Go down

That Damn Fox. Empty That Damn Fox.

Post by cristy Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:07 am

My orchard looks like something out of the Colditz movie. High chain link fence with a fencer powering two strands around the top. Confident I was that this area is fox proof. All I have to do now is to train my stupid Ducks not to stick their heads through the fence when a fox walks by Evil or Very Mad

cristy

Back to top Go down

That Damn Fox. Empty Re: That Damn Fox.

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:41 pm

It's all right if they don't start a tunnel to the outside world and freedom! Very Happy Very Happy what about manned machine-gun towers?

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:23 am

Very Happy Very Happy I suppose I will have to put some finer meshed stuff around the bottom of the chain link to stop them putting their heads through. Ducks are the most stupid birds ever.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Lost 7 ducks to the fox yesterday Crying or Very sad Have spent all day setting up a ring of electric fence around the remainder. Blasted thing took them in the middle of the day when we were around. Useless dogs we have!

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:32 pm

That's a bugger. I lost a bantam hen in the middle of the day yesterday too. He grabbed a cock then but the dog was after him straightaway and he had to let him go and take long steps. I've been patrolling off and on all day today, but no sign of him. But he'll definitely be back and it's just a question of how many more he'll kill before I kill him.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:12 pm

Its easier said than done, that's for sure.

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 am

That a real bummer lads. As I have posted before, My birds are in a fox proof compound (I hope) which I regret, that is not letting the birds run the plot freely. The Fox hunting by day would mean they are desperate, especially as they would have known that there are dogs around and willing to risk it. Apart from being vigilant we have little defence against this. So mine are shut in. I have set a trail cam up and see the Fox regularly patrolling at night. So there is no let up here.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Cristy, any way you could get hold of a fox trap?  I have one on permanent loan from a neighbour. Having said that, I never caught a fox in it.  I set it on Sunday night after the fox attack and on Monday morning there was a fine charcoal-grey tomcat in it!  He was such a fine-looking cat that I made an exception to my anti-cat regime and released him unharmed. Last time I sat it - also in the midst of a fox attack - I caught the same badger twice!  He was also released unharmed.  But it's worth a try. My fellow hasn't returned since the dog put the run on him, but I'm still uneasy - waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:50 pm

Any chance of a pic of the trap Sean?. I have never seen or used one.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:17 pm

Sean, the trick to using a fox trap is, feed the fox outside the trap for a few days, with tinned dog food for example, until he is comfortable eating there. Then you put the food in the trap and he should go straight in. We are still in the process of feeding ours outside but the bait is disappearing regularly so hopefully soon he will be a goner. Fingers crossed anyway, that's the plan.
The only problem will be keeping the dogs away.

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:35 pm

He landed again today! I guessed he was coming because the Magpies started a big commotion above in the wood and the Blackbirds were alarming. I grabbed the gun, thinking I might get a shot at him, but the dog beat me to it and spoiled my chances. She shot off up through the trees like a torpedo, barking furiously. She came back a few minutes later with her tongue hanging out and wagging her tail. What could I say? - she was doing her duty. But I might have to shut her in if I'm going to get a shot at the villain!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:42 pm

Here is a pic of the fox trap:  this one is made from steel and weighs a ton, but you can get lighter ones. There's a plate on the floor which, when trodden on, releases the door, which drops down. You can't really see the mechanism as it's hidden inside the angle iron.That Damn Fox. 20190615

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:56 pm

Thanks Sean. Looks straight forward enough and not beneath my wit to fettle the trip mechanism. By using it with in conjunction with the trail cam might give me some clues as to where to set it etc.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:45 pm

What's the latest Cristy with your vulpine friend? I don't want to tempt fate, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of mine since the last day the dog put the run on him. I'm thinking it's either: he's scared to come near the place, knowing the dog is always alert and on guard, or he's fallen foul of someone else. Either way, I'm happy he stopped calling and glad I didn't have to shoot him.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:34 am

They were here two nights ago. The vixen is a scrawny little critter but himself is a magnificent beasty. I have modified an old Video camera that now films in infrared. This coupled with an infrared light source makes for a handy night vision toy for watching nocturnal wildlife. So I am watching for chinks in my anti Fox armour. They do scuff around the fence but seem to except that there is nothing available here. I hope. I am wondering how good a jumper the fox is? A bloke down the lane has hens kept in a commercial electric fence enclosure. It seems to be no higher than a standard stock fence. I would have thought a Fox could jump it.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:50 pm

I have seen a fox jump over a three foot sheep fence just as if it wasn't there! He cleared it without even touching it. My thinking is that the fox is entitled to his nightly meanderings - he has to get his living some time and there are plenty rabbits, rats, mice etc out there for him and it's up to me to make sure my stock is closed up securely at night. If I go to bed without closing up and the fox comes in and gets my birds, well then that's my fault, not the fox's, and I can't blame him. But he must play fair too and keep away during the day. That way we can both get along!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:06 pm

Exactly. Wink

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: