Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stuffed cabbage leaves

2 posters

Go down

Stuffed cabbage leaves Empty Stuffed cabbage leaves

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:27 pm

I'm getting addicted to these:
Peel and dice a couple of spuds, an onion, three or four cloves of garlic and half a beef tomato.  Mix them up and add a good amount of oregano, plenty of white pepper, a good shake of dried chillies and about a tablespoon of chopped, salted runner beans. Finally, chuck in a tin of mackerel and mix everything up. Then, take two big cabbage leaves and cut out the thickest part of the main stems. Put a good dollop of the mixture on one leaf, roll it up and then roll it up in the second leaf. Repeat till you've used up the mixture. Put the parcels in a steamer and steam for about twenty minutes.  Absolutely delicious! And costs practically nothing. If you let the cabbage leaves wilt for a while before using, they wrap better.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Stuffed cabbage leaves Empty Re: Stuffed cabbage leaves

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:24 am

Sounds ..........interesting. Is this one of your own concoctions Sean or out of a recipe book?. My cabbage crop have been decimated by caterpillars. So I have completely cut them back to let them resprout. The hens have had a good feast on the remains.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:52 pm

My own concoction Wayland. My cabbages were attacked too, but I made a habit of, every morning before breakfast, going around the cabbages and picking off every caterpillar I could find - and there were lots! It was a pain in the neck, but the result is I now have fine big cabbage leaves to wrap up my concoctions! Very Happy

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:41 pm

Sean, were you ever a chef? You sound like you are a wizard in the kitchen.

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:33 am

He`s a bit of a wizard anyway Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Don't like the whole concept of chefs - too pretentious for my liking. Cooks are good enough for me!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:47 pm

What ever you are, you obviously enjoy it.

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:29 pm

I'd enjoy it a whole lot more if I didn't have this infernal habit of putting on weight.  I had to more or less cut out bread, pies, tarts, custards, puddings, dumplings - all the good stuff - or I wouldn't be able to get into the trousers! Sadly, I have to scrape by on a dreary diet of meat, fish and vegetables. If it wasn't for beer, cider and tobacco, I'd be as well to call it off altogether..

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:15 pm

I am well versed with the need for dieting. Not for meself but in support of my OH. I can loose weight at will but not so "Her indoors". My philosophy is if you want to loose weight stop eating! Never fails. Trouble is she cannot put up with hunger.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum