Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elderflower cordial

2 posters

Go down

Elderflower cordial Empty Elderflower cordial

Post by Torc Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Elderflower picking is in full swing hereabouts with fierce competition between the families that make the stuff. The kids have all been trained to say that there are no elderflowers around here when anyone asks.

We make bottles of the stuff and also pack some in Tupperware cartons for freezing for Christmas. It's delish as a refreshing summer drink when diluted with fizzy water and if you have a bottle of white wine that's not the best, a splash of the elderflower makes a great kir. It's also smashing on icecream and other deserts.

There is some competition hereabouts over recipes. Herself has one that she won't swap and we've heard of people putting ginger in theirs. Ridiculous.

So before they go over, have a go. You won't be disappointed.

Torc

Back to top Go down

Elderflower cordial Empty Re: Elderflower cordial

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:12 pm

We made it for the first time last year. Delicious I have plenty here and tomorrow We will be picking. Any ideas on how to keep it over a period of time. I froze some last year, well tried to. It hardly froze in the freezer as it was more like a syrup.

Back to top Go down

Post by Torc Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 am

Ours didn't freeze either but it was stored below freezing temperature and so didn't go off. It worked well.

The bottled stuff eventually goes cloudy and green so best to enjoy it while you can. Was it John Seymour that used to say "the fruits of the earth in their season" ?

Torc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Good to here about you keeping it in the freezer. I will do the same in half litre plastic containers. Sorted. It was also good to hear a quote from J S. For me it was himself who got the thing started.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 am

My first batch made using the simple HFW recipe. Delicious. Three litres in the freezer for the winter and half doz bottles to sell at the mart. We will make a second batch this weekend. A tip, smell the flowers first. If they smell like cats pee move on to another bush.

Cheers.

P.S. Its a killer neat in Vodka and I think it would do well in Potcheen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Torc Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Flowering current has the same cats' pee smell. I like it. A dab behind the ear is always appreciated on a night out - and you always get lots of space.

Torc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:02 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:19 pm

Torc wrote:Flowering current has the same cats' pee smell. I like it. A dab behind the ear is always appreciated on a night out - and you always get lots of space.
I've noticed that eating beans and being less than careful about venting the gaseous results has the same effect. Very Happy

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum