Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cropping the Willow

2 posters

Go down

Cropping the Willow Empty Cropping the Willow

Post by cristy Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:23 pm

I have decided to crop the Willow plantation in the next couple of weeks. It is only half an acre but there is a fair bit of timber in there. This project has not been a great success. It has taken twice as long to reach a usable size but hay ho, it has been an interesting experience. The stalls will resprout as Willow does and this time I will restrict each one to one shoot only and see if this improves things.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Cropping the Willow Empty Re: Cropping the Willow

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:45 pm

It will be interesting to see what kind of firewood it makes. I'm guessing you'll have to season it for a twelvemonth. Half an acre should yield a pretty fair crop! Is it a chain saw job?

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:58 pm

Mostly chainsaw but the loppers will do the small stuff. Willow is not great firewood and it does need to be seasoned. It also spits in the fire so probably only suitable for stoves. The plus side is that the cuttings strike easily and quickly. It also gives the Bees huge quantities of early pollen. The field has little topsoil so I will be happy with what I get.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum