Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seed Spuds.

2 posters

Go down

Seed Spuds. Empty Seed Spuds.

Post by cristy Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:16 am

I get the impression that seed spuds are in short supply for some reason. I have had to order from the North to get Charlotte`s. Most other verities seem to be "Out of stock" in most places. I have not been in a great hurry to make an early start on the spuds this year. just as well with all the frost we have been having.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Seed Spuds. Empty Re: Seed Spuds.

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:56 pm

Yes, they are scarce, but some places say they will have more in February. I got mine a couple of weeks ago : Records, Maris Pipers, British Queens, Epicures, Casablancas and Arran Victors. I also saved my own seed of: Roosters, Setantas, Sharpe's Express and Red Dukes of York. If they all grow, they should see me through!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:16 pm

Well, I have just got the last of this season's spuds in. A bit later than last year but with all the frosty weather we have had this year its just as well I waited. The polys have a healthy crop of various brassicas doing well. This fine weather should get me seeds germinated. I am getting keen to start the growing season off.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:27 pm

Have you planted outdoor spuds Cristy? I won't risk it for another week - then in with the Epicures, Sharpe's Express and Casablancas.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:41 pm

Hi Sean. No I dont bother with growing spuds outdoors as we get serious blight damage. I have planted Charlott and Queens and normally get the crop in before the blight comes. We no longer grow maincrop.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:46 pm

Epicures, Sharpe's Express and Red Duke of York planted outside, plus cabbage, kale, broccoli and cauliflowers. Peas and sugar snaps sown. Garlic a foot high and shallots pushing up. Onions next on the agenda! After last two years disasters with outdoor tomatoes, I'm not wasting ground with them this year.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:45 pm

I am not in too much hurry to plant outside at the moment. I got the raised beds all prepared and a large compost heap all ready to top-dress. The propagators are full and showing new shoots in the trays. this is a cheery sight on gloomy days. I may have to grow me runners from the tubers this year as I seem to have lost my saved seed. I cant find them anywhere. A bugger this is. St George is the variety I want to grow this year. My Garlic is about the same as yours as well as the Onions. I was a bit late with the shallots but they will catch up. I have some fine Savoy Cabbage`s that need eating as well as some fare Caulies and the early spuds are begining to show. In a couple of weeks I will earth them up with compost.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:57 pm

Seed Spuds. 20210611

Sharpe's Express; planted 10th March. Garden Compost, dusting of B,F,&B, mulched with leaf mould. Nipped by the frost, but recovered! From one stalk -very pleased.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:58 pm

They look great mate. I will be digging the Queens for the mart this week, they also look ok. We have been feeding on the charlotte's for a week or so and very welcome they are. Not to the Irish taste I know but we Brits like the waxy spuds. The Queens will fly out the door I am sure.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum