Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beer! Oh for a proper pint!

2 posters

Go down

Beer! Oh for a proper pint! Empty Beer! Oh for a proper pint!

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sat May 30, 2020 4:58 pm

Even though a regular cider drinker, I must admit that I do like beer - especially old-fashioned English bitter.  Sadly, the beers available here in Ireland are a pretty poor selection.  Smithwicks is (in my opinion) the best of a bad lot.  These so-called "craft beers" are a joke - most of them taste like out-of-date grapefruit juice. Not for me.  So, I sent away for a "Victorian Bitter" beer kit and I'm putting it brewing today.  Will keep updated.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Beer! Oh for a proper pint! Empty Re: Beer! Oh for a proper pint!

Post by Sean Ph'lib Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:19 pm

"Victorian Bitter"! Well, if that's what they were quaffing back in Victorian times, they weren't too badly off! I'm drinking it now and it's far better than any beer
I can get in the supermarkets! And at around 60cents a pint it's a no-brainer. Putting two more brews going today. This time Tom Caxton's Export Strong Bitter - couldn't get Victorian Bitter - sold out!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:35 am

I am not fussed about Irish Beer either. Although we had a local craft beer brewery open up a few years ago. The Dunbrody Red ale was absolute nectar. I loved it but it was not to the Irish taste. Unfortunately, the brewery is now closed, mores the pity. Good luck with the Tom Caxton. Most English kit beers are poor in my opinion. Tesco`s sell a fair selection of UK craft beers. Hob-Goblin Gold ( my favorite), Pendle Witches Brew, Theakston's Old Peculiar, Waggle Dance. Black Sheep, Sheep Dip, to name but a few are all fine ales in my view. As these Beers are not that popular over here they are quite cheap to buy. I am well into the nettle beer at the moment but I do have a bottle of Bushmills "Black Bush" in the cupboard waiting.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:32 pm

Well I'm quaffing the Tom Caxton bitter now and it's pretty good. Tomorrow (God willing), I'm putting 5 gallons of Cooper's Bitter brewing and 5 gallons of Masterpint Bitter. Beer galore! Only thing, I'm neglecting my intake of scrumpy - must rectify that this evening!😋

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:02 pm

Glad to hear it. My Cider is long gone mores the pity. The Nettle packs a punch even only at 6%.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:16 pm

Just bottled 5 gallons of homemade Spanish Shiraz - way better than any wine from the shops - and I omit the sulphites, which makes it much better!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:50 pm

I can't get wine kits around here mores the pity. They have come on in leaps and bounds compared to years ago. They seem to become drinkable without much aging at all. I will make elderberry wine in about a month, which usually turns out drinkable at Xmas. That reminds me. I need to order more Turbo yeast.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:20 pm

I just checked the homebrew websites - looks like most of the wine kits are sold out! Luckily, I bought a few some years back and they have kept perfectly - the one I just bottled was seven years out of date!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:11 am

Yeast has come on from years ago. All I used to get was "Formula 47" which could be a bit temperamental but this "Turbo" is powerful stuff. I do get the odd bottle of Potcheen but can't find a recipe. The local stuff is a bit harsh but had some fine brews from Inishmore.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum