Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Onions - sowing and harvesting

2 posters

Go down

Onions -  sowing and harvesting Empty Onions - sowing and harvesting

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:12 pm

I have my onions pulled and saving under cover.  

Onions -  sowing and harvesting 20190810

And now, to keep up the supply, I'm going to try a batch of autumn-sown onions for harvesting next June. The biggest problem now is a glut of summer vegetables: peas, sugar-snaps, runner beans, french beans, cabbage, kale, courgettes, carrots, lettuces, scallions, tomatoes - as usual, too much of everything!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Onions -  sowing and harvesting Empty Re: Onions - sowing and harvesting

Post by cristy Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:11 am

Nice looking crop of onions Sean. As to gluts. I dont specifically grow veg for the mart but inevitably there will be excess crops to sell. I will be planting overwintering Onions, Garlic, Peas, and Spring Cabbage in the middle of next month. There is a bit of caterpillar damage on the winter greens but far less than previous years. My Runners are powerful as was the peas. We got four crops of early Peas from the poly so very pleased with them. Except for the French Beans, Carrots and Parsnips Its been a fare season thus far.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:57 pm

I got me Onions and Garlic planted in the poly today. Its been a busy couple of weeks with planting, processing, freezing etc. Soon it will be time to take stock as we wind down for winter. I have not done all the figuring but We have had the best season ever at the mart. My OH is already taking orders for Xmas puds and cakes.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:44 am

I'm hoping to get garlic and onions planted this week. The weather is looking a bit dodgy though...

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:33 pm

Procured my autumn onion sets yesterday - Radar and Autumn Champion - and two kinds of softneck garlic - Dario and Marco. Now I just need a couple of dry days to get them planted - though, looking at the forecast, I might be better to start them off in modules!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:11 pm

There is still time enough to get them all planted. Perhaps plant a few in the poly if you have room. All of mine are in the poly.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum