Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oak saplings

3 posters

Go down

Oak saplings Empty Oak saplings

Post by Deryn Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:31 pm

I have found 3 oak saplings and was wondering if I move them, how far apart should I plant them?

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Oak saplings Empty Re: Oak saplings

Post by Sean Ph'lib Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:28 pm

It depends upon what you want them to grow into. If you want specimen trees that can spread their branches and attain their full potential, fifty feet apart minimum. On the other hand, you can grow a hedge (of sorts) with them at a couple of feet apart. And anything in between. I planted a line of them about twelve years ago along the edge of an ash wood around fifteen feet apart and they're looking pretty good. As a general rule, the closer you plant them, the taller and straighter they grow; the farther apart, the more they spread.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:55 am

Thank you Sean. I was thinking of planting them in the middle of the field and hoping they will grow into nice big trees one day. I may have trouble keeping the goats off them though if they are that far apart but will see what I can manage.

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:16 am

If you are looking for a specimen tree in a wide open space I would plant the three together with the view of keeping one. If they all survive then the other`s could be transplanted. Oak need deep roots for them to grow to their full potential. A point to consider. Do any specimen trees grow locally? We have very few locally and those that do are stunted and their huge roots can be seen growing over the ground surface. Your Goats will certainly love them. Good luck.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Take a little time and put a really strong goat-proof guard around the trees, otherwise you'll be wasting your time planting them. The goats will definitely do fo them. And it's pointless trying to do it once the goats have attacked -which they certainly will!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:48 pm

As long as the goats don't escape all will be fine as I am putting them at the far end of the duck run. There aren't many specimen trees around so maybe its not such a good idea, I hadn't thought about the root system, we do have shallow soil here.

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:06 pm

I keep looking at trees as we travel around Ireland and have seen some fine examples, so some places have a good depth of soil. My soil seems typical. Clay loam over broken shale. If the shale is not too compacted tree roots can penetrate. I have dug a number of test holes around the plot and have found that the shale extends to great depth in places. No great specimen could grow here but, there are also islands of cley which extend down to some great depth. Trees would do better in these. Try some test pits and dont be afraid to use the pick! Good luck Deryn.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum