Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest creation

Go down

Latest creation Empty Latest creation

Post by Sean Ph'lib Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Carved from a bit of old hawthorn.  Smoked half a bowl and it draws beautifully. Apparently, hawthorn is even harder than briar.Latest creation 20180811

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Latest creation Empty Re: Latest creation

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:25 pm

Very nice Sean. I am now a none smoker but I used to smoke a pipe. Luved it. I had a farm gate pipe rack. Corn cob, Brier, Peterson, Clay. I cant remember the modern one with a curly pipe and unscrewable bowl. What backy do you smoke? I used to like "Digger Flake". Grinding in the palm of ones hands, loading the bowl carefully, And smoking for over an hour. Almost a ritual.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:17 am

I smoke a variety. My favourite is Sam Gawith's Navy Flake.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Latest additionLatest creation 20180910
Made from Irish Oak.  Draws beautifully and use it for smoking (guess what? ) - peterson's Irish Oak!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:33 pm

Again very nice mate. Do you drill the stem?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:01 pm

Yes, drill it from both ends with a bit I made from a bit of steel wire. I have pipes now made from Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Oak, Ash, Apple and Cherry. They all make good pipes and - best of all - they cost nothing! I'm going to try Hazel, Rowan, Pear and Plum next. Only downside -I'm robbed from buying tobacco!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:46 am

I did make a pipe meself once out of brier root. It turned out good. The mouth piece was make out of fired clay. I just put a piece of twine onto a bit of cley and rolled it into a round. This then can be shaped to however you like before drying and firing. The twine burnt to ashes so giving the hole through the stem. It took a few attempts to get a good one. The secret is to get the clay wet enough so I could work it and get all the air bubbles out. They explode when firing. Ever made a clay pipe Sean?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:03 pm

Never made or smoked a clay pipe Wayland,  but I remember seeing the old people smoking them at wakes long ago. Tobacco was cheap in those days - Clarke's Perfect Plug and (for the hard smokers), Garryowen. Sadly, neither available now.

Latest creation 20180912

Smoking pure black cavendish in this homemade blackthorn pipe tonight. I know the establishment says it's not good for me but... eh! Whaddyagonnado?

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down