Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About me and Facebook Page

Go down

About me and Facebook Page Empty About me and Facebook Page

Post by jjstyle Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Hello everyone!

Christmas Eve 2017 marked the beginning of our second year in a old cottage on an acre of land in the Midlands of Ireland.
We have come a long way in one year.

We built a massive poly tunnel and set up a self watering system.
We have begun to establish an outdoor vegetable garden also.
In the line of animals we have Chicken, Duck, Geese, Quail, Guniea Fowl, Pheasant, Peacocks and Rabbits.
We had a beehive but unfortunately that project failed mainly due to lack of experience on our part but i will set out this summer to catch a couple of swarms and try again.

Our goal is to become as self sufficient as possible, this is both a hobbies and a life goal of ours.

For 2018 I hope to improve on what we have especially when it comes to the vegetable garden. We are planing on adding pigs into the mix as well as get breeding our meat rabbits and begin to get the freezer full. I also want to incorporate a aquaponics system into the poly tunnel and a fodder feed system for the animals especially for the winter time.

our Facebook page is www.facebook.com/permaculturecottage

jjstyle

Back to top Go down

About me and Facebook Page Empty Re: About me and Facebook Page

Post by Guest Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:12 am

Hi JJ. Welcome to our new forum. You do seem to have had a busy 2017 and the best of luck on achieving your goals. I am interested in hearing more about your Hydroponic system. We have dabbled with these a number of times in the past, mainly to extend our growing area into a cellar etc. This included artificial light of course. Running a 400w HP sodium bulb was not a cheap experience even with Economy 7 half price electricity. These new LED systems are far cheaper to run. I dont do Facebook anymore but good luck with your page and the future in general.

Back to top Go down

Post by jjstyle Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:39 pm

wayland wrote:Hi JJ. Welcome to our new forum. You do seem to have had a busy 2017 and the best of luck on achieving your goals. I am interested in hearing more about your Hydroponic system. We have dabbled with these a number of times in the past, mainly to extend our growing area into a cellar etc. This included artificial light of course. Running a 400w HP sodium bulb was not a cheap experience even with Economy 7 half price electricity. These new LED systems are  far cheaper to run. I dont do Facebook anymore but good luck with your page and the future in general.

Hey Wayland! Thank you and Happy New Year to you! I will be setting the aquaponics system up in our poly tunnel so I shouldn't need to go down the road of artificial grow lights, they are expensive and not an option for us at the moment. I will start out small with one unit and I'll post some pictures as I go! Smile

jjstyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum