Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post and rail

2 posters

Go down

Post and rail Empty Post and rail

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:10 pm

There were a few stray cattle on my bóthairín yesterday morning so I decided to try out my new  froe this morning and split up an ash tree to fence against future encroachments.  I must say the blacksmith made an excellent job (following my blueprint) and the new froe worked a treat  - no sign of bending under severe pressure.  Here's the finished job:  not great, because the log was knotty and twisted.
Post and rail 20190411

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post and rail Empty Re: Post and rail

Post by cristy Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:53 am

Proper job Sean. All very rustic looking. To my eyes much better than thoughs posh jobs we see around Studs etc. So you have a new froe. I have not used or seen one of them for a while. I see you had to give the Smith a template so I guess he does not make many himself. My latest tool purchase was a Mattock. Off the shelf though. No Blacksmith locally to my knowledge. I bet you have an adze as well.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Yes Cristy, adze, froe and mattock.  I had a froe which I bought ovef the internet but it bent under pressure. When I showed it to the smith he said straightaway : "just poor iron, no wonder it bent. The one I'll make for you will be spring steel and it will not bend!"  And it didn't!

Post and rail 20190412

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:36 am

Thats a decent size Sean. The Froes I have used in the past were much smaller and used to split hazel when hedge laying. I think your Froe would stay at home and timber brought to it rather than dragging it up a hedge line. While on the subject of splitting timber. Have you ever used an Alaskan saw mill?. I was watching some lads using one on YouTube. Looks simple enough to make me thinks.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:41 pm

This one will split small stuff like you describe, Cristy, but has no problem with a six-inch diameter ash log too! As for the Alaskan saw mill, I often toyed with the idea of buying one, but I'd be more inclined to go down the route of a circular saw driven by some kind of motor or engine. Would a biggish lawnmower motor work?

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:51 am

Sean Ph'lib wrote:  As for the Alaskan saw mill, I often toyed with the idea of buying one, but I'd be more inclined to go down the route of a circular saw driven by some kind of motor or engine. Would a biggish lawnmower motor work?  

Yes it would providing the power of the engine is man enough for the size of the cutting wheel. This could be easily worked out. Do you have a skill saw? The power in WATTS = the blade dia. i.e 750 WATTS = approx 1 horse power. By multiplying the ratio of the increased size of the desired saw blade dia by the power of the skill saw would give you the min power needed to drive the desired blade. More is better, If you catch me drift. This was the easy part.!! Now the max RPM of the blade must not be exceeded lest the blade disintegrates and takes your head off Evil or Very Mad The max RPM of any cutting wheel should be written on the disc or found out by other means. So now we have the RPM of the engine driven through pulleys etc to turn the blade at its correct speed, and the right direction of coarse. A modified chain saw to make an Alaskan saw mill will be far less bother me thinks and very little engineering required. Although I would luv to make a proper circular saw mill with all kinds of automation added, albeit with stuff from my bone yard no doubt a bit Heath Robinson. Good luck with it Sean.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum