Urgent - can tcp used on sheep

Go down

Urgent - can tcp used on sheep

Post by Carlarua on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:26 am

We're caring for a 2 day old lamb that had an altercation with a jackdaw. 1 eye is gone, but on the other eye it looks as if just the eyelid has been damaged
We've been cleaning the area around the eyes with cooled down boiled water, but the gunk coming out has started to smell.
The snow here is really bad, with 8 ft snow drifts, and no one s getting through, not even in tractors. Vets are not accessible so I can't get to antibiotics. Chemist is closed as well.

Can I do anything?
It's taking the bottle and weeing and pooing fine (though a bit of scour, but not problematic)
Would very diluted tcp do any good to clean off the goo on its eye?
Are there any alternatives for antibiotics?
Carlarua

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Urgent - can tcp used on sheep

Post by Monst on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:50 pm

I would think TCP would be ok, alterativley, do you have any witch hazel
Monst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlarua on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:35 pm

My husband got through to a farmer friend of ours, who gave us proper medication. There's a definite improvement.
I do hope it's remaining eye is functioning, otherwise all the night feeds and days caring for it were in vain and we'll have to bring it to the vet to put down.
Carlarua

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monst on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:00 pm

lets hope so Carla, we normally have penicillin in the fridge, although at the moment we are out, although we don't have much to do with livestock now, as I had a bit of a falling out with the local farmer. Saying that, we acquired 2 orphan lambs this morning. Wasn't sure 1 of them would make it, as it was very cold when OH went to collect them, but it was up and about this evening for its feed, its marvellous what a good warm feed and a heat lamp can do.
Monst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:01 am

Its good of you to care for this lamb Carla. With that much damage to its eyes I would probably put the poor creature down. If its one remaining eye has no eyelid then it cannot clean itself by blinking or keep the eye moist. Not a nice future for both of you.
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:11 pm

wayland wrote:Its good of you to care for this lamb Carla. With that much damage to its eyes I would probably put the poor creature down. If its one remaining eye has no eyelid then it cannot clean itself by blinking or keep the eye moist. Not a nice future for both of you.
I didn't like to say it, but I'm of the same mind. I'd be inclined to knock this lamb on the head.

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down