Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snowdrops!

4 posters

Go down

Snowdrops! Empty Snowdrops!

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:54 pm

As some old Roman poet once remarked:
"Ecce! Gratum et optatum ver reducit gaudia!
Purpuratum, floret pratum, sol serenat omnia!"
Well, perhaps not quite yet, but the snowdrops are out in my little Birch copse - so there is yet hope that, despite rain, wind and storm, good times will return! ☺️

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Snowdrops! Empty Re: Snowdrops!

Post by Guest Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:26 am

Thats a ray of sunshine in these gloomy days. Did any of you lads watch countryfile yesterday? They did a bit on whats flowering now in mid winter. It would seem that we should have about 50 wild winter flowing plants. We now have some 500 ish. Global warming does not seen to fit as we have had a cold winter thus far. Interesting I thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlarua Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:50 pm

I saw lovely snowdrops yesterday and they cheered me up no end !
Nothing much else out yet. The fields are so wet, maybe rice paddies seem like an idea
Carlarua
Carlarua

Back to top Go down

Post by Monst Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:37 pm

well, we have our first miniature daffs just starting to flower. Lovely to see, even though I have just let the dog out for his evening constitutional, and it's bloody snowing again!!
Monst
Monst

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:48 pm

We have got gorse just starting to turn yellow now.
Hope the snow goes quickly for you. We only had a sprinkling today.

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Monst Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:20 pm

all gone now thank the lord, but took my jeep out this morn, (first time in 3 months, I've been ill) and had to use 4wd, it was a bit slippy in places where it was shaded. Still, gave the old girl a workout lol
Monst
Monst

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Sorry to hear you've been ill again. Hope you're feeling better now.
We have more snow forecast for tonight but if it does I won't be in a hurry to drive in it. I'm one of those people most drivers don't like to be behind in bad weather. lol

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Monst Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks Deryn, its a long drawn out thing, good and bad days. byt getting better all the time. Bad weather has never bothered me, used to drive for a living a long time ago, so you just have to get on with it. Its not so clever when you're pulling 10 ton though. Still, I diverse, we have even more daffs starting to bud now, spring is really on its way. Lifts the spirits!
Monst
Monst

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:01 pm

There is nothing like new growth to get one thinking about the following seasons crops. Its a wonderful circle but seems to come around quicker each year. Must be starting to get old. Sound like my parents now!

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:36 am

Smile Tempest fugit. I have never been bothered much about my age but having just turned 70!!!. Moving quickly on. My peach tree is now showing some movement so I will need to find a soft brush soon. Do You lads live near the sea at all? Judging by your comments on the weather we are getting it light. We have new born lambs locally and the pond has so much spawn in it I am having to relocate loads of it. Hope you get fit soon Monst. Good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Monst Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:21 pm

Cheers Wayland, no not near the sea here mores the pity, would love to be able to get in a spot of fishing, but alas an hour+ drive is too far for me at the moment. We have a few lambs round here but not too many yet, normally the end of Feb they start, then they keep coming right up to the end of May. Haven't got any sheep myself anymore, I used to have a few but had to move them on. I used to raise orphan lambs too for the freezer, nothing better then your own lamb roast.
Monst
Monst

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:12 am

Monst wrote: I used to have a few but had to move them on. I used to raise orphan lambs too for the freezer, nothing better then your own lamb roast.

We dont carry much stock now, mores the pity. Having said that looking at the soggy state of my land they would get scant comfort from it. It would be nice to have some stock around, perhaps this year Very Happy . I am always on the lookout for Cade lambs, although a pain in the arse though they be, like you say "Nothing better". It seems to me that Irish shepherds hold on to them, where in the UK they are only to happy to move them on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:44 pm

There a usually a few on done deal. We have done orphan lambs for the last 2 years. This year we have purchased 2 sheep in lamb with twins, so fingers crossed it goes OK. One due the end of Feb the other mid March.
We are about 30 mins from the west coast, get our share of wind and rain but fortunately not too much snow.

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:21 am

Nice one Deryn. Goodluck with your Ewe`s. I will keep a lookout on Done deal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum