Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feeds and Breeds.

2 posters

Go down

Feeds and Breeds. Empty Feeds and Breeds.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:34 pm

In the past I have always been of the opinion that without the use of layers pellets peak egg production could not be achieved. Now I am not so sure. I have too many eggs at present, more than I can sell. So I have withdrawn a large percentage of pellets in their rations. Basically 80% Corn 20% pellets. I find that after two weeks on this ration egg production has not dropped. I am not displeased with this, corn is cheaper than pellets. So looking at whats different in my current setup from what I did before it becomes obvious that breeds are the thing. In the past I have usually gone with the likes of ISA Browns or other hybrid egg layers. I think that such breeds depend on high protein feed stuff and output is severely curtailed if this is not used. An egg a day per hen is all that we could ask for. My current stock is a mixed bunch of mongrels. Being fed mainly on corn I still get one egg per hen per day. I am not planning on buying Hybrids again.

Back to top Go down

Feeds and Breeds. Empty Re: Feeds and Breeds.

Post by Sean Ph'lib Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:42 pm

I don't keep hybrids either - I don't consider them to be proper hens.. they're laying freaks produced by huge conglomerates using who-knows-what processes. My flock is at present made up of Welsummers, Rhode Island Reds, Buff Sussex and one Partridge Wyandotte bantam. Over the years, I've kept Cuckoo Marans, Copper Marans, Light Sussex, Barnvelders, Plymouth Rocks, Silver-laced Wyandottes and Black Minorcas. For me, half the fun is in trying out different breeds. This year I'm going to try a few Leghorns.
As to feeding, I've always fed them - and the ducks and geese - on whole oats and whole maize. A few weeks ago, I bought a bag of organic layers'pellets, but they didn't like them, so now they're all back on their regular diet of whole corn.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlarua Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:38 pm

Yes, the breed makes a big difference. I've mixes of orpingtons, old English game (produced a fabulous looking rooster mixed with the buff orpingtons), Wyandotte and Rhode island red.
I have no idea where to get the lovely breeds like Marans or Barnevelders ; I'm nearly sure the chicken breeders are like a secret brotherhood. No advertisements, just word of mouth (that's how we got the buff orpingtons). We don't have a big garden, so we can only buy a few chickens at a time, so our flock doesn't go over 6 hens and a rooster.
Carlarua
Carlarua

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum