Green finger help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Green finger help!

Post by jjstyle on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Hey everyone!

So I'm not the best gardener I must say, my dad was brilliant and could grow anything but I was to young and not interested enough to pay attention, one big regret of mine!

Can you please give me some advise on what grows best in poly tunnel vs outdoor garden.

I'm thinking just the baisics this year, I dont want to go to mad and overwhelm myself

I'm thinking Tomatoes. Potatoes, Onions, Garlic, Carrots, Beetroot.

Let me know what you are growing and where. My poly tunnel and garden are in direct sunlight for most of the day in summertime so suggestion on veg that love lots of sunshine and heat.

Regards

JJ

jjstyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Green finger help!

Post by Deryn on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Hi jj
I only started with a polytunnel last year but have been growing veg outside for years.
I tried onions and garlic in the polytunnel and was very disappointed with the results, very small bulbs, so am going to try them outside again this year. This is also only our second year here so its all a learning curve as to the weather here.
The other things that didn't do very well inside were the parsnips and lettuce.
I would think that potatoes would take up a lot of space that could be used for more tender crops.
Definitely doing runner beans, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots and sweetcorn inside again.
Would be interested to hear other peoples advice

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Most of our produce comes out of the poly`s. Luv them. The only problems arise from hot summers. The only water the tunnels get is what I bring. If the water authority does monitor every meter for three months this year to assess a households average, then once a week I will thoroughly water one tunnel per week, if you catch my drift. This month I will plant my early spuds making sure I have a good stock of straw to cover in case of frost. I also have early peas, cabbage, sprouting broccoli, carrots. Everything looks ok but my Leeks are below par. The fertility of the soil is most important with such intense planting. We constantly are adding nutrients to compensate for what we take out. Chicken manure, powdered eggshells. garden compost. loads of spent coffee grounds from the local tea shops, wood ash all help. Another down side of poly tunnels is pests which can reproduce to epidemic proportions. Like scale insects on my Peach tree last year. Good Luck.
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top