Wood frame poly tunnel ?

Go down

Wood frame poly tunnel ?

Post by Carlarua on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 pm

Would it be possible to make a construction from wood, then cover it with clear heavy plastic instead if using a metal hoop frame system as a poly tunnel?
The cost of a tunnel is prohibitive, but is there an alternative that is equally durable? Even 2nd hand poly tunnels are fairly expensive.
The wooden frame could be covered at the corners by the likes of old bicycle tires so the corners don't damage the plastic cover ?

It's just an idea I'm throwing around. There's a lot of animals roaming around, and the veg would need protection from donkeys and goats.
Carlarua

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wood frame poly tunnel ?

Post by Monst on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:24 pm

it could be done that way, but one of the ways I have seen is to use plastic water pipe. Insert lengths of rebar into the ground, slip water pipe over to form hoops and reinforce with 2 x 1 timber across the hoops
Monst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:04 pm

I made mine by concreting 3 foot lengths of galvanised pipe into the ground and slipped red esb ducting tubes over them. They cost about ten euros each. Then, like Monst says, screw 2x1 laths across them to secure them together.

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:02 am

Hi Carlarua https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4o7SL4KZNA. This is one of many options found on You tube. If you have any council contacts you may be able to get off-cuts of the tube for the price of a pint. I would recommend you get a proper cover (First Tunnels in UK) as UV will soon render STD polythene useless. Some pics would be nice. Good Luck.
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlarua on Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:44 am

Gentlemen, you are wonderful!

I'm on a steep learning curve, and - as we probably all are - having to be creative due to lack of funds, whilst looking for durability of builds and projects.

Thank you for your wisdom and knowledge!
Carlarua

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:43 pm

Being creative due to lack of funds is the most satisfying part of the whole business. Something I can create from next to nothing (even if less than perfect) gives me more satisfaction than a similar factory-made item - even one made from gold!

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:55 am

So Carlaura, were you able to get your tunnel up before the bad weather set in ?
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down