Self Sufficiency and growing flowers.

Go down

Self Sufficiency and growing flowers.

Post by wayland on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:48 am

I have never been one to grow flowers much. Not that I dont like to see a nice flower garden, I do but, this has always been Gloria`s domain. Which is just as well as I am seriously lacking the artistic gene. I remember HFW digging up the old established flower borders at River Cottage. Something I would have done also to make way for veg. Things changed this year! I planted up a large area of the paddock with flowers. Years ago this would have been a waste of valuable food producing space, but now my mind is set more intune with "Adding Value" to our produce. This area of flowers generated far more cash as cut flowers at the "Mart" than all the other produce put together Shocked . This goes along nicely with the self sufficiency concept enabling us to purchase animal feed that we cannot produce ourselves etc. It was also pleasing to the eye although the colours clashed. As Gloria says "Food feeds the body. Flowers feed the sole".
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Self Sufficiency and growing flowers.

Post by Carlarua on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:52 pm

I gave up my raised beds altogether, and shifted the 5 tonnes of soil into a new flower border.
It's going to be a slow process though ; flowers and shrubs are expensive, even when you can buy the unpopular/slightly withered/battered and bruised knock offs at garden centers.
I have to admit though : I've tucked the occasional broad Bean and lettuce in amongst the flowers, and I have a whole corner for herbs (there's a rose bush growing in that corner too, I completely forget about that one until I was picking parsley and ended up with a hand full of thorns)
I admit it : I'm never going to win any medals at Bloom. The colour scheme in my garden could possibly blister your eyeballs...
Carlarua

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:47 pm

Very Happy Very Happy . You have a way with words Carlarua. Garden Centres are the place to find end of season bargains like you say. Taking cuttings saves cash and also is fun to do. We are gearing up for this years flower crop, selling them at the Mart like last year. I have even got Sweet Peas growing in a spare Poly Tunnel. I like the idea of growing edibles in the flower beds in true cottage garden tradition but Gloria does not. For a bit of fun I onced planted a runner bean seed in one of her prize hanging baskets. She was not amused Neutral
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlarua on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:23 pm

oh you naughty boy  Very Happy  I find "hidden surprises" like that hilarious.
I finally found a white lilac, something I had been looking for for years. My granny had a white lilac in her garden and every time I see it I have to think of her.
And I do like taking or giving away cuttings. I gave a neighbour a cutting from a Rowan tree in my garden ; now that it's properly established, he calls it "Carla's bush". My requests to call it "shrub" fall on deaf ears, because there's no fun in that, apparently Shocked
Carlarua

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Lilac is my favourite scent. In my village grew many bushes of huge flowering heads of which I could not walk by without smelling them. Must have made quite a spectacle for me neighbours. ho Hum. We have them here both lilac and white but they dont seem to do so well more's the pity yet, the Buddleia are good.
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:34 am

Well this years flower crop is in full swing. It has been a bumper year at the mart with us struggling to meet the demand. Now we have bees they to are appreciating the flower beds. Growing flowers instead of food crops still seems a bit alien to me but, I feel much better when our monthly cheque comes in;) .
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am

Which flowers in particular are the most popular Wayland? It's something I might try - and don't worry! I'm far enough away from you not to compete with your trade! Very Happy

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:14 am

Hi Sean. This is not my strong point as my OH is the flower fairy. Her being a florist in a past life. We are now picking Dahlia`s, Cosmos, Michaelmas Daisy, Rudbeckia, Gladiola, Sun flowers, Zinnia, to name just a few. The Bee`s work all except the Gladiola. We only grow flowers on the poorest ground, some of which has very shallow topsoil. I am advised to recommend to you to go for more perennial`s as they once established are less work. If you have some good soil that does not dry out in early summer Sweet peas are a must as they are not generally sold in the shops. These are always in great demand but, they do require some work to keep them flowering right through the summer. Hope this helps mate.
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down