Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preserving eggs.

3 posters

Go down

Preserving eggs. Empty Preserving eggs.

Post by Sean Ph'lib Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:04 pm

I gave a couple of months at the tail end of last year without any eggs - a serious problem for a chap who normally eats half-a-dozen every day! So this year I'm taking steps: I'm going to preserve a few hundred for the lean times. I've never done it before, but there's a first time for everything. The recipe is one ounce of hydrated lime to each quart of water. Mix it up in a bucket and put the fresh, clean eggs in. They're supposed to last for at least eight months. The eggs must be clean, but not washed and, needless to say, not tap water. Put a lid on to stop evaporation and that's it.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Preserving eggs. Empty Re: Preserving eggs.

Post by cristy Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:46 am

Well good luck with them Sean I have never tried the water glass before so I am interested to hear how it goes. I have pickled them in the past and have heard of people greasing the shells but have had no experience of this meself. Six a day! You must have a great digestive system:D .We have been lucky this year and have had eggs all winter, although much reduced. My ducks are now laying well at last and are in great demand at the mart so, are now paying for their keep. I have always got a few young birds in June/July to keep us in eggs in their first winter but my ducks failed to come into lay until now. Greatest plans of mice and men etc etc.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:30 pm

My ducks were the same - only came into lay last week.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Mine are still not laying

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:09 pm

Mine are in full swing now - and the hens are out-doing themselves. On top of what we're eating, I've preserved two buckets full in the lime mixture. Now I'm going to start pickling them.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:57 am

My Ducks have gone off a bit Sad I think its to do with this cold snap. The Hens are back into full production at last. I have been reading up on preserving eggs. It seems fine but there is lots of cautionary notes about Salmonella!. Good luck with them Sean.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:46 am

Good luck with the pickling Sean. We have done that in the past very successfully, if you like chillies try a few in the jar as well makes a pleasant flavour.
Our hens are laying well too, makes up for the contrary ducks.

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm

Thanks for the encouragement lads; I'm going to use salt and vinegar, plus turmeric, garlic and chillies.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down