Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planning for new season.

3 posters

Go down

Planning for new season. Empty Planning for new season.

Post by cristy Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:30 am

Well lads, its good to see the days are drawing out a bit. Any new plans or stratagems for the new season?

cristy

Back to top Go down

Planning for new season. Empty Re: Planning for new season.

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:12 pm

Apart from the new fruit cage, I'm going to take a chance that we'll get another good summer and try growing all my tomatoes outdoors this year. Last year, my outdoor ones out-performed the ones in the polytunnel - better and cleaner crops and better flavour. Maybe I'll try melons in the tunnel...

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:43 am

Well good luck Sean. We did not have a great crop of toms from the poly either. We do get blight so I have not tried to grow toms outside for a few years. If we get a summer like last year it would be great. No sign of blight on the spuds at all. I am going to concentrate on growing Bees this year and have plans for making two more hives. We shall expand the cut flower enterprise for the mart as well as getting Quail meat production organised. Plus any other crazy notions that may crop up.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:34 pm

I don't have any major plans this year but have a million and one that need finishing off. Just lots of little bits to tidy. Good luck with the toms outdoors Sean, 2 good summers on the trot, are you sure you live in Ireland?
I tried watermelons last year and was very pleased with the results, not a lot of fruit but very tasty. I planted my toms late last year as the first lot didn't germinate and had a good crop in the end. We too have blight here so will keep them indoors.
Good luck with the bees and quail Cristy.

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:00 am

I have been converting my veg area over to raised beds. Not the narrow things seen in various mags but two metres wide x at least six long. I have found that running these as "No Dig" works well and is easy to weed etc. So my next project this year is to build more.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down