Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Solstice.

2 posters

Go down

Winter Solstice. Empty Winter Solstice.

Post by cristy Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:24 pm

"WASSAiL"affraid to all those heathen Saxons here. We have anointed our apple trees with cider to encourage a good crop next year. It has been our tradition to discharge shotguns around the orchard to drive away evil spirits. Cant do that here and our party poppers dont seem quite to cut the mustard. Still have a great new year lads Very Happy

cristy

Back to top Go down

Winter Solstice. Empty Re: Winter Solstice.

Post by Sean Ph'lib Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:44 pm

Cristy, I think you're a bit early - wassailing is traditionally done on the old twelfth night which falls now on January 17th. But you can always do it again! Very Happy Although not a Saxon myself, I will also be wassailing my orchard - splashing a gallon of cider over the oldest tree and leaving bits of cider-soaked toast in the branches for the SpideĆ³g - and I will be discharging shotguns! pirat

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:55 pm

We, I say we because we were part of a group, always held the winter solstice in high regard and Wassailing was done on this date. As for twelfth night its only significance for us was that the sun could clearly be seen to be advancing, and so the birth of the Oak king had taken place. I have heard of Christian explanations for twelfth night which is cool. Each to his own. We also differ from what you say Sean in regard to the actual date of twelfth night. We have always taken it to be literally twelve night`s after the Solstice. This all matters not a lot. Some have to do what is they think as traditional right to the very minuit. Thereabouts has been always ok with me but the 21 st is our solstice. no matter what the learnerd men/women of science tell me. Your last comment made me smile Sean. The shotguns seemed to round off the night well.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down