Apple trees

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Apple trees - Page 2 Empty Re: Apple trees

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:40 pm

No trouble Deryn; the varieties you've chosen are fine, but I wouldn't be too fond of MM111 as a rootstock - you can end up with a tree over 15 feet high if you don't prune it carefully and you won't get much of a crop off them till they're 5 or 6 years old. M26 is pretty good, though you might need to keep it staked.  I'm surprised you haven't been able to source anything on MM106 or M116, which would be my choice. The reason those three-yr old MM111s are available is that few people want them.
  If I were in your shoes,  I'd buy any old varieties I could get on MM106, plant them, let them grow for a year or two and then graft them over onto the varieties you want. It's easy to change the varieties, but to change the rootstocks, you have to dig them up and start again.

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:46 am

Sean. (master yoda) Very Happy . You certainly know your apples.

cristy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi Sean
Final order
Edward 3yr on M26
Fiesta 3yr on MM106
Saturn 3yr on M26
Cockpit 3yr on MM106
Sunser 2yr on M26
Hope that is a reasonable list
Will keep your original list and hopefully add to the orchard next year

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:39 pm

Looks pretty good Deryn. Glad you didn't go for the mm111 - I think you'd be digging them up later on! And, once you learn how to graft, you can have all the varieties you want - I'm making a Frankenstein tree this winter, with five different varieties on the one tree.

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:36 pm

Sounds interesting Sean.
I'm sure its possible to graft but I'm not sure I would know where to start. I need to learn to prune first. Thank you for all your help

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:10 am

It all seems far to early but I am going to prune my orchard today and cut scions for grafting. The buds on some of the trees show signs of swelling. I think if we get a cold snap, which is almost certain. These buds may get damaged. I have a concern that this may damage the scions if left till later.

cristy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:53 pm

I'm starting pruning today as well Cristy, but I'll put off the scion-taking for a month or so. I don't think the cold will bother the buds - it's only really fruit buds the frost damages - and you don't want them on scions anyway.

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:13 pm

Apple trees - Page 2 20190110

This eight-arm espalier is a Cockle Pippin.  It's a reasonably good dessert apple, but not spectacular and it doesn't sell well. So this year I'm going to lop off all its arms and graft on twigs of Claygate Pearmain.  I've never grafted over an espalier before, so I don't know how well it will work, but I'm going to give it a go.

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:33 pm

That looks a good shape Sean, you obviously have a knack with the trees. Keep us informed on the results

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:18 am

Well thats all my pruning done. Just as a side comment, I save all my prunings of Cherry, Apple, and Pear for alfresco cooking in the summer. The sweet scent given off makes form the best tasting barbecue ever.Very Happy

cristy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:45 pm

Finally received the apple trees and fruit bushes and they are now happy planted. Fingers crossed for some fruit this year.

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy on Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:46 am

Good news Deryn. What fruit bushes did you get?. We have a raised bed of Blueberries which have always given us a good crop despite the age and small size of the bushes, we are going to try and take some cuttings this year. Our old blackcurrants need replacing also.

cristy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:19 pm

Hi Cristy, I have never done blueberries always thought they were tricky.
I have planted 3 blackcurrant bushes, 2 gooseberry, 1 red and one green and a jostaberry which he sent for free with the order, plus a rhubarb. Have still got some raspberries and strawberries to move to the same patch. That will have to wait til this cold spell passes

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2