Docks for the ornithologist

Go down

Docks for the ornithologist  Empty Docks for the ornithologist

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:44 am

Most people consider docks (or, as we call them, dog-leaves) a nuisance - a plant to be cut down or, worse, sprayed with some infernal poison, in an attempt - usually futile - at eradication.  I do cut them down where they are blocking a path or in the vegetable garden, but by and large I let them alone.  I am being rewarded for my forbearance these days by flocks of Redpolls and Siskins coming to feast on the dark brown seed heads. Everything in nature has its place and purpose, even the humble dock, so if you're fond of colourful butterflies (like Peacocks, Red Admirals, Tortoiseshells and Commas)  and small, seed-eating finches,  try leaving a few patches of nettles and docks undisturbed around the place.

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Docks for the ornithologist  Empty Re: Docks for the ornithologist

Post by Deryn on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:09 pm

Its always a good idea to have a wild area as long as its in an appropriate corner. We have plenty of wild areas but have had to make sure they are the side of the field that the wind blows the least as have been battling weeds where I don't need them.
Sean, how would you keep a large gravel area free from weeds without using chemicals?

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:16 pm

You can lay a weed-suppressing membrane under the gravel; or you can run over it once a week with a rake, or you can spot treat weeds with a hoe or boiling water (the water you just boiled the spuds in is ideal). Or make a natural weedkiller from salt, vinegar and a little liquid soap.

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:36 pm

Thank you, will look into the vinegar mix.

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum