Planting a copse

Go down

Planting a copse

Post by cristy on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:05 am

We have a small paddock at the lower end of the plot. The top soil here is generally shallow and gets very wet in the winter. I have put in some drainage which has improved things but the conditions are not good for cropping. To the side of this paddock is an area which I have left to wildlife and planted a few trees and flowering shrubs. The small weeping willow that I planted there loves the conditions and now has grown to dominate the area. The willow "Fedge" which surrounds this area is now struggling for light and so rather than removing it I no longer prune and let it compete with everything else. I also planted four Birch saplings that we got free from the "Ploughing" a few years back. Three are way up there but one was struggling so I transplanted this one into the paddock. Looking at the now developing Copse I am well pleased. There is room for a few more trees so I will plant up the whole paddock this winter which will help with the drainage and create a decent area for the hens to run in. Another unfinished project for this area is a self flushing pond, which is fed by a rain water drain from the house. Lots to do. Any plans lads?

cristy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Planting a copse

Post by Deryn on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:46 pm

I am in the process off making paths to the duck shed as last year I nearly lost my wellies a few times. I am also planting a few willow trees to help with the drainage and to also give them some shelter as they are very exposed where they are. I wonder if this is why they don't seem to be laying especially well. Time will tell!

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down