Kale for winter greenstuff

Go down

Kale for winter greenstuff

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:56 pm

I grow lots of Kale every winter. To my way of thinking, it's the most vital and valuable of all the winter vegetables - full of vitamins and minerals and (to my palate) delicious!  I planted out the plants in late July and they were promptly attacked by the Large White and Small White Butterflies. I knocked off some of the caterpillars and crushed some of the eggs, but didn't bother too much. Some of the plants escaped but most of them got a fair infestation. I left them alone - no spraying - and after a while the caterpillars departed, leaving after them a sorry mess - leaves reduced to skeletons.  But by and by, they recovered; I cut off the damaged leaves and new leaves sprouted and grew. Now all the plants are producing beautiful crops of fresh greenstuff.

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kale for winter greenstuff

Post by Deryn on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:56 pm

Isn't nature amazing at times.
I to always grow kale but only have a small picking from this years so far. I have just planted out some more young plants in the hopes that they may crop when the other has finished. It tastes nothing like brought kale, way better.

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:18 am

We grow Curly Kale. Marvelous stuff and a great hardy winter veg. I net my outside brassicas which keeps the large white at bay but some of the small`s get in. pale After cooking I like to drink a cupful of the greenwater, which is not to everyone's taste ( Gloria hates the thought of it) but I have drunk it all my life thanks to my gran who would not waste anything.

cristy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:09 am

I love it. Best thing you could drink (almost).

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Will have to give it a go. Not heard of that before

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content