Autumn planting time.

Go down

Autumn planting time.

Post by wayland on Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:23 am

The autumn planting of the polytunnels is nearly finished. Onions, Garlic, Early Peas, Cabbage`s and Lettuce. The potting shed just needs the bubble wrap to be put on the roof ready for early sowings. Pots washed, This years crud thrown out. Its all go here. Very Happy
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn planting time.

Post by Deryn on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:25 pm

You have been busy. Makes me feel jealous. I still have loads to do and the clocks change soon. Time to panic me thinks!

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:53 pm

I'm behind with my planting too. So busy with apples and honey... but the spring cabbages are coming along nicely in their trays, ready for planting out. Won't be this week, though - still haven't finished apple-picking!

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:16 am

They polly's are now looking quite organised which is not a common occurrence with me. Now the temperature is dropping fast I have replaced the ventilated doors with solid winter ones. The onions, garlic, peas, and spring cabbage grow a pace and will continue to do so while the soil temperature keeps up. My chili plants have been great and still are cropping well. The Scotch Bonnets are particularly good. We usually dry them but this year a lot will be frozen. We are still harvesting great bunches of grapes, they loved the hot summer. I just need to get some trenching done in the warmest poly for planting early spuds in january. I am not quite ready to do a complete winter shut down but a kind of quiet stillness has descended over the plot. Luv it. How you doing lads?
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:23 pm

I am still miles behind, hope to plant the garlic tomorrow but have to replant the cabbages if its not to late, as the rabbits have destroyed the whole patch. I still have a few plants left to replace them but the weather is against me now. Would you put half rotted manure on the veg patch or nothing at all? Mine hasn't rotted quick enough this year. Its only animal bedding waste nothing nasty.

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:20 am

Hi Deryn. I wish we had a rabbit problem. They make better gravy than greens Very Happy. If they are a major problem I would construct a hooped cloche and cover it with chicken wire. This placed over a trench with fresh dung at the bottom would be an ideal place to plant your seedlings. Better still, cover the wired cloche with polythene or fleece. Half rotten or fresh manure is very useful this time of year to put in the bottom of trenches. After backfilling with soil the decomposing manure will give off a small amount of heat over a period of time. Warmth just where we need it. I do this in the poly with the last grass clippings. I shall try a few really early spuds planted thus. Good luck.
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:29 pm

Have fenced off the bed for the cabbages and am replanting tomorrow. They have 2 chances as its very late for them. Not holding my breath. This has been a very bad year for crops all round lets hope next year is better or I will start to get very demoralised. Cucumbers and tomatoes were great along with the runner beans bur everything else was a no go.
Hope you all had a better harvest than me

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:09 pm

I must get my spring cabbages in too!

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:56 pm

Well, finally got 'em planted. Wheeler's Imperial and April. I usually get them in during October, but a bit late this year. However, I'm planting them in the polytunnel this year so hopefully they'll catch up! Still have the garlic to plant. Busy busy busy...

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:30 pm

Got our cabbages in too. I have already got the garlic in but only last week. Looking forward to a quiet time for the next few months. How about you?

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:00 am

I wish Deryn! But now coppicing starts in earnest. Chainsaws, axes, billhooks and the iron horse - so nothing too quiet there! But maybe I'll get in a day's fishing now and then... and then pruning the apples and grafting... and a hundred and one other jobs! One thing sure - no fear of every getting bored!

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:49 pm

We can always dream. At least its dark earlier. Then its time to catch up with the decorating etc.
You have just reminded me that I have a lot of willow to coppice. What are you coppicing Sean?

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:50 pm

Mostly Ash and a bit of Sweet Chestnut.

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:05 pm

Do you ever have any of the ash or sweet chestnut spare to sell as my OH is looking for some ash to make hurdles and sweet chestnut for making trugs. The sweet chestnut is proving very hard to find.

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy on Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:50 am

Busy indeed. Sean do you do any sort of maintenance on last years grafts?

cristy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:19 pm

Deryn wrote:Do you ever have any of the ash or sweet chestnut spare to sell as my OH is looking for some ash to make hurdles and sweet chestnut for making trugs. The sweet chestnut is proving very hard to find.
If you let me know exactly what you want, lengthwise and diameter, I'll do my best. Send me a p.m.

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:28 pm

cristy wrote:Busy indeed. Sean do you do any sort of maintenance on last years grafts?
Hi Cristy, depending on where they are on the tree and how strong they are, I usually cut them back to a bud pointing in the direction I want the branch to take. It's a good idea to shorten them in any case as it reduces stress on the join from winter winds and also stimulates growth. As a rule of thumb, cutting back halfway isn't a bad idea. Also, you can use the piece you cut off as a scion ( put it in a plastic bag in the fridge and graft it next Spring) though it's too early yet as the trees are not fully dormant and if you cut now, you could get some regrowth which will be too soft for the winter. I never start pruning till after Christmas.

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down