Hallelujah!

Go down

Hallelujah!

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:29 pm

I took advantage of the fine weather over the past three days and finally got the last of the honey off the hives. And not one sting - which I put down to most of the old warriors being died off by now.  I left every hive a full super of honey and an additional super on top which they are now filling with ivy. All being well, they should start off the winter with around 90 lbs of honey each. Most beekeepers would think that excessive, but I don't think bees can have too much honey going into the winter. I won't have to worry about them running short and certainly won't have to feed them sugar, which is as bad (or worse) for bees as it is for humans!  Ivy is flowing in to the hives now and stinking the place up - some of the supers I took off had a bit in them - you can tell it easy enough: it granulates very quickly, and the first thing you see is the cappings look wet, which I presume is caused by the honey expanding as it granulates and pushes against the capping.  Now! Time to drink some whiskey and smoke some Black Cavendish! Smile

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hallelujah!

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:17 am

It has been quite a season for you Sean. I shall just take four frames for a bit of honey for xmas. They have done well considering the upheaval they went through. I have also decided to air on the side of caution and leave them plenty of stores. They will have two supers plus whats in the brood chamber. I dont find the ivy too smelly. Nowhere near a rutty puk! Just a slight musky aroma. So how much honey did you get?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:25 pm

It's a question beekeepers never answer truthfully. Ones that have only a little generally inflate the answer in order to appear more proficient than they really are and those that have a lot like to play down the quantity for fear of appearing boastful. I suppose the best way of answering is to say whether or not one is happy with the crop. Some years you'll be disappointed and other years you'll be delighted. The old way of enquiring, in Ireland, of a farmer as to how good a crop (hay, corn, turf, lambs, honey etc) he had was to ask: "Were you thankful to it?" I have to say that, this year, I am very thankful to my bees. Wink

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:36 pm

Ok. Point taken. Your answer stops me asking my next question Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: