Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sick of honey!

3 posters

Go down

Sick of honey! Empty Sick of honey!

Post by Sean Ph'lib Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:59 pm

I'm so sick of it!

Sick of honey! 20180813

I have to keep taking it off the hives and they keep drawing in more of it! Will it ever stop?  Have they nothin ' else to do only stuffing their hives with honey?  What do they want it all for? Smile

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Sick of honey! Empty Re: Sick of honey!

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:06 pm

Well Sean!!. Not many beekeepers would say this. On the contrary. They can never produce enough. So make hay while the sun shines. As a one man enterprise perhaps you have bitten off more than you can chew. I am curious. What was your worst season? In the UK the national average yield was twenty five pounds per hive. Which aint much. My best season was four full supers, about eighty pounds. This was urban beekeeping which always produced more honey than rural. I can imagine what you are going through mate. Hang on in there mate. Is there no help available locally?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:24 am

Help is it? Those days are gone Wayland. Thirty years ago, there was one farmyard in our village where two families lived. There were sixteen people in that yard alone. Those houses are empty now and there are only sixteen people left in the entire townland. I can often go for a week without seeing another human being.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:08 pm

Finally got 'em all under control! Haven't got all the honey off, but at least have given them all plenty super space to store the heather - if it yields, which it hasn't so far!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:56 am

Honey is selling well at the Mart. 7 euros 50 cents is the going rate which seems to me a good price, or perhaps a little too high if the producers have had as good a season as yourself Sean. There is little activity around the hive at the moment.  Looking around the area there seems little available for my bees at the moment. They have plenty of stores and there is plenty of Ivy locally so there is still a chance of more before the season shuts down. I will put on another super just in case there is a good nectar flow from the Ivy. No Heather locally more's the pity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:11 pm

Plenty heather here, Wayland; unfortunately, 'tisn't yielding - not yet anyhow. The ivy will yield - I've never seen it fail yet. And when it does, you'll know - it stinks to high heaven! Some years it gives a tremendous crop.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Looks like the local Ivy has started producing nectar judging by the activity at the hive entrance. I had the entrance closed a bit in case of wasp problems, but have now had to opened it fully. Looking around at the Ivy just a few flowers have opened. So perhaps a good flow is in the offing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:48 pm

You'll know if they're collecting it - you'll smell it! It smells like an old puck goat.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:30 pm

A bit like my jumper at the moment then, lol.

Deryn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:38 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Drowned_pig Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Lol lucky you!
Drowned_pig
Drowned_pig

Back to top Go down