Grafting Apple Trees.

Go down

Grafting Apple Trees. Empty Grafting Apple Trees.

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:07 am

This has been an interesting project. Last year Sean sent me a number of scions from his extensive collection of rare apple trees. I had only done grafting once before. So it was a bit of a learning curve for me. I had twenty scions to graft onto various parent trees. I picked out the low performers and after a while everyone had taken! Very pleased. I used two types of graft. Whip and tongue and cleft. I was amazed at the amount of growth that came from the grafts to such a point that I was wondering if I should prune them back a bit. I could imagine some great crow landing on then and they would break off. I dont yet know how long the grafting tape should be left on but I have noticed some of the grafts are starting to burst out. I do have a problem with one tree and that was one bought from Lidl last year, Despite continued watering the tree looks like it may not survive. This has been a great exercise. Thanks for your help Sean. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Grafting Apple Trees. Empty Re: Grafting Apple Trees.

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:44 pm

You're welcome Wayland. Glad they went well.

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:10 am

So grafting time is approaching. Feeling more confident after last years successes I have a number of scions to graft. Worcester permain, Kids orange red, Adams hanging permain, and James Grieve. Sean. Would you let last years grafts fruit this year?

cristy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:18 am

Yes Cristy, if they've taken well you could let them fruit,  but I'm more inclined to prune them back by about a third to strengthen them and encourage branching. If you get long growth from a scion and are fearful of it getting broken or wind- damaged, you can always prune it back - or strap a stick to it and the parent stock as a sort of temporary splint. Good luck with the grafting - I'm going at it myself (as soon as Cheltenham is over!)

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:51 am

All done. There is one interesting problem I may have. One tree which I have never had any fruit till hopefully now might have been a pear!. Lost the label but I am sure it was an apple Shocked . So if it was a pear would it take apple grafts?

cristy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:57 pm

No, not a chance. Apples and pears won't join. Pity you didn't think of it earlier - I could have sent you a few scions of a self-fertile pear. Too late now - it's in full blossom. Not to worry - always next year!

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy on Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:46 pm

Indeed. I am quite sure it was an apple. I think!!. If not I will take you up on your offer mate. Cheers.

cristy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down