Self Sufficiency
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grafting Apple Trees.

2 posters

Go down

Grafting Apple Trees. Empty Grafting Apple Trees.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:07 am

This has been an interesting project. Last year Sean sent me a number of scions from his extensive collection of rare apple trees. I had only done grafting once before. So it was a bit of a learning curve for me. I had twenty scions to graft onto various parent trees. I picked out the low performers and after a while everyone had taken! Very pleased. I used two types of graft. Whip and tongue and cleft. I was amazed at the amount of growth that came from the grafts to such a point that I was wondering if I should prune them back a bit. I could imagine some great crow landing on then and they would break off. I dont yet know how long the grafting tape should be left on but I have noticed some of the grafts are starting to burst out. I do have a problem with one tree and that was one bought from Lidl last year, Despite continued watering the tree looks like it may not survive. This has been a great exercise. Thanks for your help Sean. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Grafting Apple Trees. Empty Re: Grafting Apple Trees.

Post by Sean Ph'lib Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:44 pm

You're welcome Wayland. Glad they went well.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:10 am

So grafting time is approaching. Feeling more confident after last years successes I have a number of scions to graft. Worcester permain, Kids orange red, Adams hanging permain, and James Grieve. Sean. Would you let last years grafts fruit this year?

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:18 am

Yes Cristy, if they've taken well you could let them fruit,  but I'm more inclined to prune them back by about a third to strengthen them and encourage branching. If you get long growth from a scion and are fearful of it getting broken or wind- damaged, you can always prune it back - or strap a stick to it and the parent stock as a sort of temporary splint. Good luck with the grafting - I'm going at it myself (as soon as Cheltenham is over!)

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:51 am

All done. There is one interesting problem I may have. One tree which I have never had any fruit till hopefully now might have been a pear!. Lost the label but I am sure it was an apple Shocked . So if it was a pear would it take apple grafts?

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:57 pm

No, not a chance. Apples and pears won't join. Pity you didn't think of it earlier - I could have sent you a few scions of a self-fertile pear. Too late now - it's in full blossom. Not to worry - always next year!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:46 pm

Indeed. I am quite sure it was an apple. I think!!. If not I will take you up on your offer mate. Cheers.

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Sun May 26, 2019 8:27 am

This tree was formally a Cox which hardly ever flowered. It is now a Kids Orange Red. Just look at it! Very pleased I am.

[img]Grafting Apple Trees. 2019-011[/img]

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sun May 26, 2019 10:08 am

It's great when a plan comes together!

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:11 am

I have noticed a fair bit of die back on a number of trees on the plot. Not only Apple but others also. I am putting this down to last summer's drought. Any of you lads find the same?

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Ph'lib Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:29 pm

No Cristy, can't say I have. Last year's drought shouldn't be causing dieback now, you'd think.

Sean Ph'lib

Back to top Go down

Post by cristy Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:35 pm

We have quite alot of die back here. The most affected was a Balsam Poplar which lost most of its leaves last year. It is growing well this year at the top of the canopy but almost completely bald down the trunk and side branches. Some apple trees have died back to about 18 inches from the growing tips. These have a scrivalled appearance. Unfortunately some of my scions looked the same when got out of the fridge. So whatever it was, it happened last year. Having said this I have seen some new shoots die off on some trees. Kis-met!

cristy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down