Tomatoes 2018

Go down

Tomatoes 2018

Post by Sean Ph'lib on Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:04 pm

How are the old tomatoes doing lads?  I picked my first one today - a Super Marmande. Gardener's Delight and Golden Sunrise are just starting to colour.

Sean Ph'lib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomatoes 2018

Post by wayland on Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:20 am

We have been getting them for a few weeks now. Red Cherry, Golden Sunrise. The Roma`s are just beginning to colour. They seem to love this weather and fortunately the poly that they are growing in has a stream running close by so they at least have had enough water. Likewise the early spubs are still cropping well. The Sharps are just about done (wont be growing them again). We will be moving onto the Charlotte next.
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Tomatoes are still all green here but cucumbers are ripening well. No spuds yet as earlies didn't get planted due to wet conditions. Main crop flowering well.

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wayland on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:31 am

We have had one cucumber thus far. The toms continue to crop well enough but I wont be growing these cherry types again. Gloria hates sweet tomatoes with a passion. The Roma are now ripening and a potential good crop is in the offing. We freeze tomato puree in large amounts for winter chillies/soups etc and so I am relying on the Roma`s to do well. Deryn, hows your spuds doing. We have had a great crop of earlys I am glad to say. We are even taking some to sell at the mart. The main crop continue to be looking well in my experimental no dig raised bed. Cant wait to get at them and see.

Last edited by wayland on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
wayland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deryn on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:20 pm

The spuds are looking good, not dug any yet as still in flower.
We are overrun with cucumbers, its a shame you are so far away Wayland, can't give them away here. Had the first tomato yesterday but not a particularly good crop coming on. How are yours doing Sean, do you freeze yours?

Deryn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drowned_pig on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:11 pm

My tomatoes are only starting to ripen on the vine now (I had been doing some on a window sill as something seemed to be eating them imthe polytunnel once they were beginning to ripen.

I’m inundated with cucumbers though ...anything I can do with them other than salads and smoothies/juices? I’ve resorted to throwing some to the chooks, they love them.
Drowned_pig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drowned_pig on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:14 pm

Whoops never mind ...just found Deryn’s post about cucumbers I shall read with great Interest!
Drowned_pig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down